Black algae Help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Jill

Reaction score
I have black algae what is the best way to get it gone? I have runny nose, peppermint tetra.

Attachments

• 54CA869A-E3C2-4607-B892-4523D13F49F1.jpeg
    54CA869A-E3C2-4607-B892-4523D13F49F1.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 102
There are some obvious issues here, with your on-going maintenance.

Are you doing regular (weekly) water changes, and if yes, what volume of the tank are they? Do you vacuum into the substrate? Are you keeping the filter well cleaned?

How long is the tank light on each day, and is it regular? How long has the tank been running?

What is the nitrate level (ammonia and nitrite too)?

While waiting for the above info...you should clean the inside of the front glass (can do sides and rear glass if you like, but certainly the front) with a sponge scraper at every water change even if you don't see algae; this stops it "before it starts" so to speak.

Yes I change vacuum the gravel once a week when I change the water. I am unsure of the level of nitrates and all that is I did check last week and they were good. I leave the light on all day from 9am to about 9pm. Ive had it set up a while I am new to this whole thing so Iā€™m clueless I appreciate any help. I canā€™t get real plants to grow in this tank.

Yes I change vacuum the gravel once a week when I change the water. I am unsure of the level of nitrates and all that is I did check last week and they were good. I leave the light on all day from 9am to about 9pm. Ive had it set up a while I am new to this whole thing so Iā€™m clueless I appreciate any help. I canā€™t get real plants to grow in this tank.

OK, so we will consider no live plants. They do make a difference as to how one approaches algae.

You can reduce the light period each day; 12 hours is a lot of light, and algae uses any light if nutrients are present, and nutrients are always present with fish being fed. So algae is to be expected, it is natural, and beneficial--it produces oxygen through photosynthesis though less than higher plants. You can let algae grow on wood, rock, etc, as it can be quite attractive. But you don't want it on the glass walls, so clean this off. At every water change clean the inside of the glass; a sponge-type scraper works well for this, as it will not be stubborn algae if it is dealt with regularly before you really even see it--but it is there.

Reducing the light duration will help keep it less. Floating plants would really help here, as they are fast growing, they are easy to grow, and they shade the lower tank and fish do like them.

I just added some hornworth I believe itā€™s called. Should I plant it or let it float?

I just added some hornworth I believe itā€™s called. Should I plant it or let it float?

This is a stem plant so it can be rooted in the substrate in clumps or individually, but if you've had trouble with planted plants before it mi9ght be best to let it float. Floating means it will be closer to the light.

Stop changing the water. Start cleaning the filter twice a week,maybe dailey to start, and reduce the lighting period to six or seven hours. Add plants..hardy plants like Rotala indica, Bacopa,Cryptocorynes are all easy. Add a young Ancistrus or two. They will help stabilize the aquarium better than any chemical.

Also- you might want to stir the gravel instead of removing and washing. Gravel has beneficial bacteria that helps filter as water flows over it from the pump.
But,reducing the lighting always works. If you don't have plants,then you could just leave the lights off a few days. Give your filter a chance to get the upper hand.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back