Biting Betta

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CapnSmee

Reaction score
I have 4 female betta. Recently 2 (more often one specifically) bite me when I clean things in the tank or do water changes. I have dealt with 1200 lbs livestock and feathered dinosaurs. But I'm legit questioning my fish keeping skills. The other 2 never make a fuss. They glide into my hand, but never bite. The one had begun doing it every water change. I don't know if it's a sign she doesn't like me or she is curious about my freckles 🤔 is this normal fish behavior? I never realized something so small would make me question so much.

IDK my tetras would nibble my arms when I did WC/substrate cleaning. They eventually figured out it wasn't worth it but it hurt as my arms have fine little hairs that they would pull-the little buggers!

IDK my tetras would nibble my arms when I did WC/substrate cleaning. They eventually figured out it wasn't worth it but it hurt as my arms have fine little hairs that they would pull-the little buggers!
Its like a sharp pinch every time. I didn't realize I signed up for piranhas. I was going to give the benefit of the doubt that my freckles look like food.

Yeah think of half a dozen fish trying to pull your hairs out all at once as your arm is in the water up to your shoulder...not fun!

Yeah think of half a dozen fish trying to pull your hairs out all at once as your arm is in the water up to your shoulder...not fun!
I'd imagine not. This does make me question every person who ever told me a wild animal is more afraid of me than I am of them 🤣 an adolescent fish doesn't even fear me.

Most fish like Bettas or Cichlids will protect their territories especially during breeding time.
You can search the internets for stories of fish biting and attacking human.

Most fish like Bettas or Cichlids will protect their territories especially during breeding time.
You can search the internets for stories of fish biting and attacking human.
Nay, nay. I will just take your word for it. I feel like I'll just make a new, unreasonable fear for myself haha I'll stick with the mellow fish like corydoras or otocinclus.

By the way, usually you don't put your hands inside the tank as it will pollute the water.
If your hands have soap or detergent, it may kill the fish.

The only time when I put my hands inside the tank is during the cleaning/maintenance time.
But during cleaning time, I will siphon out most of the water to a very low level.
I always wear a glove to prevent catching any of the bacteria or parasite.
Some bacteria can affect human especially if you have a open wound/cut on your hand.

Watch this video:

By the way, usually you don't put your hands inside the tank as it will pollute the water.
If your hands have soap or detergent, it may kill the fish.

The only time when I put my hands inside the tank is during the cleaning/maintenance time.
But during cleaning time, I will siphon out most of the water to a very low level.
I always wear a glove to prevent catching any of the bacteria or parasite.
Some bacteria can affect human especially if you have a open wound/cut on your hand.

Watch this video:

Ok. I go armpit deep to clean. I'm on the shorter side and don't know how I'd siphon or reach anything otherwise. I'm about to invest in those gloves that go up to your armpit.

Nay, nay. I will just take your word for it. I feel like I'll just make a new, unreasonable fear for myself haha I'll stick with the mellow fish like corydoras or otocinclus.
Lol. I like all fish. I did some "pet sitting" for a single betta last year for Christmas, and recently had to get a 10g for a dwarf gourami which turned to be an ever-hungry bully that would chase off and nip at my cories, even the big fat females, and chase away neons which were too quick for him to reach, and which cam be nippy themselves when they want. The dwarf is fine by himself on the 10g tank and he comes up to "say hello" when it's feeding time, hasn't bitten me though. Cories are fun to watch, the neons are just unpredictable (they'll get scared of bubbles and shoal, and the next minute they're chasing each other off away from the food). The more I think about it, bettas actually seem more like cats.. curious, they'll recognize you, come up to you, and then sometimes will get uppity for no apparent reason 🤷🏻‍♂️

Lol. I like all fish. I did some "pet sitting" for a single betta last year for Christmas, and recently had to get a 10g for a dwarf gourami which turned to be an ever-hungry bully that would chase off and nip at my cories, even the big fat females, and chase away neons which were too quick for him to reach, and which cam be nippy themselves when they want. The dwarf is fine by himself on the 10g tank and he comes up to "say hello" when it's feeding time, hasn't bitten me though. Cories are fun to watch, the neons are just unpredictable (they'll get scared of bubbles and shoal, and the next minute they're chasing each other off away from the food). The more I think about it, bettas actually seem more like cats.. curious, they'll recognize you, come up to you, and then sometimes will get uppity for no apparent reason 🤷🏻‍♂️
The only animal that's ever bit me in anger is a cat. And now my betta. So I appreciate the comparison hahaha. I thought I did a lot of reading before picking what would go in my tank, but nothing said "betta will reward your efforts with bites" 🤣

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back