Bit of a bullying Endlers problem

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AilyNC

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hey I've 7 Endlers all male. I really regret getting these fish because all the do is fight. Everyone else in the tank are chilled & happy (some pseudomogil rainbowfish, peppered cory & a reclusive false zebra Pleco). The tank is well established & no issues with water parameters.

It's got lots of plants, in fact can be pretty dense at times.

These endlers are no stop harassing the biggest Endler. It's quite a bit bigger than the others but 6 of them constantly surround him & nib at him. He's gotten injuries from it.

I've tried rearranging the tank plants & decor.

I don't know what to do. Help?

I've a second tank but it's 22 degrees so wouldn't suit splitting Endlers up.

Do i just leave them until they kill him? Eek.
received_469592011070038.jpeg

Attachments

• PXL_20210302_213216337.jpg
    PXL_20210302_213216337.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 131
  • received_395692791495529.jpeg
    received_395692791495529.jpeg
    439.3 KB · Views: 115
Hey I've 7 Endlers all male. I really regret getting these fish because all the do is fight. Everyone else in the tank are chilled & happy (some pseudomogil rainbowfish, peppered cory & a reclusive false zebra Pleco). The tank is well established & no issues with water parameters.

These endlers are no stop harassing the biggest Endler. It's quite a bit bigger than the others but 6 of them constantly surround him & nib at him. He's gotten injuries from it.

Do i just leave them until they kill him? Eek.View attachment 130595
They are probably fighting for territory? Try to buy at least 7 females and they should stop. Also how big is your tank?

You see, male guppies can get pretty agressive when lacking females and also there's always the dominat guppy so you must provide your other guppies refuge such as plants and cavws to hide from the bully. But the best solution is to add females, again, a least 7 since you have 7 males.

Also, endler guppies can live at 22°c, they can live at a temperature range of 22°c to 28°C so they should be fine in your other tank. + guppies (endlers too) are pretty resistant

The tank is 60 litre - 60cm x 30cm base, 33.5cm height. The pseudomogil mostly swim up top & amongst the plants. They're pretty tiny. The 6 peppered cory hang out mostly at bottom.

I'm not getting females. I can't deal with live bearers bearing babies.

My mother wants to set up a tank so I might see does she want them with some females.

The tank is 60 litre - 60cm x 30cm base, 33.5cm height. The pseudomogil mostly swim up top & amongst the plants. They're pretty tiny. The 6 peppered cory hang out mostly at bottom.

I'm not getting females. I can't deal with live bearers bearing babies.

My mother wants to set up a tank so I might see does she want them with some females.
Hnm... females would be the best solution for the problem as guppies are agressive when lacking females in the tank because they are very active. Also 60l is not that big so they might be fighting for territory.

The tank has caves, pots and lots of plants. Seriously Fish says they need 24 C to 30 C so I'm not sure about the cooler tank. Even if i did move some I'm not getting females.

Attachments

• received_395692791495529.jpeg
    received_395692791495529.jpeg
    439.3 KB · Views: 126
  • PXL_20210303_084422064.jpg
    PXL_20210303_084422064.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 134
Thanks. When i got them the advice here was that male Endlers would be fine without females. I get they may need females but I don't let having so many fry so want to avoid that.

I think I'll see if my mother would like them or even if fish shop will swap them out.

I've kept male only tanks without problems. Not Endlers, but guppies, platies and mollies all at different times. There has been the odd problem with an individual male or two who wouldn't be happy in a male only tank- just too driven, would only have settled down in a tank with females - but those ones have been the exception, rather than the rule. Especially in a well planted tank like @AilyNC 's.

Right now looking at my tank that has nine male guppies in it, no females, and there hasn't been a problem in there. They chase each other and display to each other a lot, but it's neither relentless nor targeted. Given how many people keep livebearers, and how quickly one can become overwhelmed with fry, often leading to overstocked tanks and declining water quality, before losses begin, I'm against always advising to add females whenever there's a male problem. I've seen male only tanks work well with my own stocking.

Since they're all picking on the one male, make sure he isn't sick. Often when the whole tank turns against one fish, there is something wrong with that fish. It's normal for them to try to drive away a sick fish, since sick fish attract predators. See if the tank settles down once that one male is removed.

Thanks. When i got them the advice here was that male Endlers would be fine without females. I get they may need females but I don't let having so many fry so want to avoid that.

I think I'll see if my mother would like them or even if fish shop will swap them out.
Even if you get fry, thr other fish would probably eat them so it wouldn't really be a problem.

Even if you get fry, thr other fish would probably eat them so it wouldn't really be a problem.
She already had a problem with platy fry not getting eaten when she first got a tank, after a lot of bad advice from her LFS. She has experience with livebearer fry, she's not against it for no reason.

I've kept male only tanks without problems. Not Endlers, but guppies, platies and mollies all at different times. There has been the odd problem with an individual male or two who wouldn't be happy in a male only tank- just too driven, would only have settled down in a tank with females - but those ones have been the exception, rather than the rule. Especially in a well planted tank like @AilyNC 's.

Right now looking at my tank that has nine male guppies in it, no females, and there hasn't been a problem in there. They chase each other and display to each other a lot, but it's neither relentless nor targeted. Given how many people keep livebearers, and how quickly one can become overwhelmed with fry, often leading to overstocked tanks and declining water quality, before losses begin, I'm against always advising to add females whenever there's a male problem. I've seen male only tanks work well with my own stocking.

Since they're all picking on the one male, make sure he isn't sick. Often when the whole tank turns against one fish, there is something wrong with that fish. It's normal for them to try to drive away a sick fish, since sick fish attract predators. See if the tank settles down once that one male is removed.
To be honest it really depend on the fish, I've had a couple stockings of male guppies only but at the end I had to add females. Right now I have 6 male guppies and 6 female guppies, the males still fight as there isnt enough females for them. But yh, guppies are very active so adding females is actually better.

Most reactions

trending

Back