Bird fallen out from nest

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My aunt found this baby bird fallen from pnest (don’t know where nest is)
and it has a broken leg, can anyone help with this?

My aunt is in another province btw and this is the only way I can help the bird.
C916D6E6-31F1-4178-BF33-B4647D831599.jpeg
43731E81-831B-45B3-A6A0-C65CE55CF1C4.jpeg

@Colin_T @TheTenthDoctor

Last edited:
It’s bleeding pretty bad. Maybe try to find a local rehabilitater?

Bird vet
The wing looks damaged too.

You can put some flour (any type of flour for cooking) on the wound to help it clot or wrap a tissue around it and put some tape on the outside of the tissue.

Keep the bird warm (about 30-32C) and humid but not hot, and not in the sun.

make sure to keep the baby warm like people said above. i agree, take it to the vet. unless you are a bird vet, i don’t think you can cure a broken leg. poor thing.

Thanks for the help everyone!

I’ll update this post once my aunt call me back.

Yup...that is a serious leg break and, unless you find a vet that would go to the trouble of treating it and feeding/caring for the youngster until it's fully recovered, it spells doom for the little one, with much pain and infection and suffering. Sadly, I suspect the answer is euthanasia and a solid stone to the head is the quickest way. Don't try and wring the neck, or you might find yourself holding a head in one hand and the rest of the bird in another...don't ask me how I know this. :(

If the parent birds are still interested in the little bird you might be able to get the parent birds to look after the little one. It's a slim chance but would be the best outcome for the bird. The biggest issue would be to protect the bird from cats and other predators. If you had a shed or something nearby you might be able to open a window wide enough for the parents to enter but keep the cats out the little one could stay in an open container in there and the parents bring it food. We have done this with Spotted Towhee but the chick was the last one of the clutch. The parents found the bird by its cheeps.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back