Biorb/Betta vacation options

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jowlymonster

Reaction score
I received a Biorb tank for Christmas (small 15L one) which now has a single betta in it who currently seems happy. We're feeding him tiny pellets a couple of times a day as directed.
The problem is we'll soon be away for a holiday for around 10 days. I've read it's fine to leave them for a long weekend without food, but not that long. I've also read that "feeder blocks" are possibly going to do more harm than good. I've seen automated feeders, but the design of the biorb tank means fitting these is likely to not be possible...
So any other suggestions? (asides from trying to find someone who can pop in, which is harder than you'd think)...

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Just feed the fish a bit more now so it can gain some weight, then leave it without food while you go away. If the fish is in good condition it can go a couple of weeks without food.

Do regular water changes to keep the water clean when feeding more. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

You can add a few plants and that can help the while you are away.

I was away for Christmas for 3 weeks and during that time none of my fish were fed. To be honest it was a bit longer than I would like but I don't like feeding blocks and definitely don't want anyone feeding them who can make mistakes.
I have two Betta tanks, both with some shrimp and snails, I would be naive to think they wouldn't have had a go at some of them but other than that no feed, and all look good. They were fed a little more for a while beforehand but other than that they were all good.

Fish can go a surprisingly long time without food and are used to, and even benefit from some periods of "starvation" the more dangerous side is over-feeding.

Thanks everyone, sounds like a good option is to keep an eye on him and check he's looking healthy before we go and let him then go without for a bit...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back