BioOrb flow 30?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

jkkgron2

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Looking at getting one and starting a planted tank from it, I have some questions about it. Anyone used it before? Any pros or cons of it? Best plants for it? Best stocking for it?

Im thinking that if I get it Iā€™ll move over some of my low light plants like moss balls and water wisteria to plant it.

Hello, I used to have one of those nano tanks.
Lovely looking tank, sleek and stylish with inbuilt filter and little led.

The filter is good and effective but only with the substrate it comes with, the largish ceramic media rocks, I tried this tank with normal substrate and the issue with using normal substrate is that it chokes the filter and renders the filter useless.
However I have seen some upgrades that may work, a sort of ring that goes around the filter and substrate goes on top and around the filter, stops it clogging the intake and thus keeping the water flow to the filter going.

The other issue with this is the little led lights, not particularly good for any plants that requires half decent lights, only the simplest plants like java moss and java ferns, that sort of thing that does not require lots of light may work well.

Lastly, the size of the tank, 30litres, this kind of severely limits what you can stock in here fish wise, a single betta splenden might be ok but the flow and bubbles from top of filter pipe in middle of tank may cause issues for the betta.
I have never kept a betta so will leave that for the more experienced betta keepers to chime in about that.

The only live stock I kept in that tank when I had it for the short while was red cherry shrimps and some snails. I gave up on that tank when found I could only have the ceramic media rocks and not any other kind of substrate at the time, this was a few years ago, so there may have been some upgrades or changes since then but the fundamental design remains the same imho.

These bioorb flow 15l and 30l are ideal for a shrimp only set up to be honest but other than that, not a lot of choice truth be told.

Last edited:
Is there a way I can stop the filter from running? I was going to a get a used one so it doesnā€™t come with the substrate. Iā€™m planning on a sponge filter but unless Thereā€™s a way to stop the built in filter I probably wonā€™t get the tank.

I read @Ch4rlie 's review, then saw the pricetag. is it really worth it? I've seen some half decent, complete, nice looking 30l aquariums for half that price (230-320ā‚¬) out there. the design does have charm to it, I agree. as for fish stocking or plants, I'd leave that question to someone who's more experienced

I read @Ch4rlie 's review, then saw the pricetag. is it really worth it? I've seen some half decent, complete, nice looking 30l aquariums for half that price (230-320ā‚¬) out there. the design does have charm to it, I agree. as for fish stocking or plants, I'd leave that question to someone who's more experienced
I found a used one for under $50, would that be worth it do you think?

under 50$ sounds great but if you're buying from someone you don't know I advise asking for proof to see if the LEDs and filter work properly, you never know. I'm looking for a 30l as well to start out and rarely I've seen anything new under 50ā‚¬

under 50$ sounds great but if you're buying from someone you don't know I advise asking for proof to see if the LEDs and filter work properly, you never know. I'm looking for a 30l as well to start out and rarely I've seen anything new under 50ā‚¬
To be honest Iā€™m not all that concerned with either, I have an extra sponge filter and a nice light too grow plants with. All I need is for the tank to have no leaks. Iā€™m happy to get a working filter or light but I may end up switching them out anyways.

To be honest Iā€™m not all that concerned with either, I have an extra sponge filter and a nice light too grow plants with. All I need is for the tank to have no leaks. Iā€™m happy to get a working filter or light but I may end up switching them out anyways.
Sounds good then - enjoy! :good:

Switching out the light and adding sponge filter sounds good to me.

I canā€™t remember if the filter can be taken out completely but certainly the tube and media and media casing can be taken out and bottom of tank can be covered with substrate to hide the rest of filter thatā€™s fixed to bottom of tank, no big issue I donā€™t think.

I thought of that when had it but Iā€™m real ocd when comes to wiring of equipment, I loathe seeing wires hanging loose and I think you would see the sponge filter wiring and airline unless you modify the top of tank somehow and have some nice planting to help hide these.

But all that is certainly doable with a bit of know how and diy skills, good luck and post a pic or two if you decide to go ahead and complete this little nano project :good:

Iā€™m planning on taking some water wisteria cuttings, possibly some ludwigia, and I might try to find a really small crypt. Oh and I went a bit moss ball crazy in one of my tanks so Iā€™ll be removing a few small ones. The tank will probably be a shrimp tank. If I get it itā€™ll be over the weekend so hopefully itā€™s still there by the time I can go!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back