Big thanks! Going on 6 months with happy / healthy fish!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Larry Licata

Reaction score
Peeps! Thanks for the great advice, I switched from guppies to tetras and Cory's. Have not had a casualty in almost 6 months! Thanks again for the great advice! I want to add to the tank. I currently have a 15 gallon tank well cycled. I have 3 tetras and 2 corys. How many tetra/Cory combo would work for my tank?

This is only a 15g tank, so you need to be careful on how many, but both need more. First, what is the tetra species? And which cory species?

2 green Cory and 3 black neon. Picked up 3 serape tetras. To be honest my confidence was pretty low cuz I lost so many guppies. I have hard water and switching species. Now the tetras are doing great.ill see how these 3 new serapes do and I will pick a few more Cory.

I agree with @seangee serpaes tetras should be in shoals of 6 or more and are fin nippers. I suggest adding to your black neon tetras so there are 6 of them instead. They also should be at least 6 or more.

The Serpae Tetra should be taken back ASAP. This tank is not only half the size it needs to be for a group of them, but they are feisty fin nippers when not maintained in larger groups in larger tanks.

Serpae Tetra for the record is a fish that must have 10-12 minimum in the group, and this group requires a 30g tank minimum (base dimensions of 75cm by 30 cm (30 inches by 12 inches). That is just for the Serpae Tetras, no other species.

When this species is forced into something less than the above, it tends to increase their aggression even more. And before it is said, they may "seem" to be OK now but they are adjusting to a new environment and dealing with that stress; once they feel more "at home" they will begin to display their inherent behaviors. We cannot change what is programmed into the species' DNA.

Gotcha. Will take these back and get more peaceful aquatic neighbors

Good. You need more cories, and more black neons if you keep these. I would say 5-7 cories (total, so another 3-5) and 7-8 black neons. Shoaling fish must be kept in grooups and these numbers are more likely to result in healthier fish. Once these species are in better numbers, it does not leave much space for other fish in a 15g tank. You could get a group of a small species such as Ember Tetra, or perhaps one of the dwarf rasbora species like the chilli rasbora, which is bright red and remains higher up in the tank than the black neons and cories.

Good. You need more cories, and more black neons if you keep these. I would say 5-7 cories (total, so another 3-5) and 7-8 black neons. Shoaling fish must be kept in grooups and these numbers are more likely to result in healthier fish. Once these species are in better numbers, it does not leave much space for other fish in a 15g tank. You could get a group of a small species such as Ember Tetra, or perhaps one of the dwarf rasbora species like the chilli rasbora, which is bright red and remains higher up in the tank than the black neons and cories.
I have a shoal of 8 ember tetras in my tetra tanks and they are a very nice small fish. They tend to swim in the upper part of the tank and stay in their shoal more often than my neon, glow light and red eye tetras do. They are very peaceful.

Eviction day was yesterday for my Serape tetras. traded them for 3 juvenile Embers. Will let these boys get accustomed to the new tank and will pick up a few more black, ember and green corys this weekend .. thanks for the valuable input.!

Eviction day was yesterday for my Serape tetras. traded them for 3 juvenile Embers. Will let these boys get accustomed to the new tank and will pick up a few more black, ember and green corys this weekend .. thanks for the valuable input.!
I know the fish stores always say shoaling fish need to be in atleast 3 and while 3 is technically a shoal because two is a pair 3 isnt really a shoal. In the wild smaller shoaling tetras shoal in groups of hundreds, strength in numbers to protect from predation. Shoaling fish that are in groups of 3 are going to be more stressed. Sometimes similar sized tetras will shoal together i had rummys glo lights and neons that shoaled together occasionally but i also had at least 6 of each never as little as 3. Id get more black neons before adding any other species but hey the embers are are at least similar to the black neons

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back