Big River South

I messaged them earlier so hopefully get a responce tomorrow. Just states Red shoulder severum (heros Rotkeil) on the website.

Did have some wild caught Curare and Rio gaupore Sevs in stock so its a go chance the Rotkeil are also.

Didnt realise how similar looking the Rorkeil and Curare are. Curare were much darker and had no colour in store
Curare are a really nice fish but really big growing probably the biggest Severum species I think, def bigger than Greens/Golds and have a bit of a reputation of being a bit more aggressive.

Going to be interesting to see if you get any info on them, there did used to be 2 species of red shoulder around one was Rotkiel and the other got called Orange Shoulder which grew bigger and was more orange than red but these dont look like that. With the spots down the side and the red on the body at the dorsal and anal fin, I've not seen that before.

Curare are a really nice fish but really big growing probably the biggest Severum species I think, def bigger than Greens/Golds and have a bit of a reputation of being a bit more aggressive.

Going to be interesting to see if you get any info on them, there did used to be 2 species of red shoulder around one was Rotkiel and the other got called Orange Shoulder which grew bigger and was more orange than red but these dont look like that. With the spots down the side and the red on the body at the dorsal and anal fin, I've not seen that before.
Oh right, youve got me intrigued now🤔

They are more orange than red atm. Are severums easy to sex

Oh right, youve got me intrigued now🤔

They are more orange than red atm. Are severums easy to sex
Usually yes, males have pointed fins females have rounded and males usually have a lot of squiggles on the face reaching around the nose where as females will have a few markings on the gill plates but not wrap around the nose. Female Rotkiels have a smaller red shoulder patch too. Sometimes you get females that look male which was what my mouthbrooder was and why she was called Lilly :)

Wills

Slight change to Big river.
20230211_193427.jpg

New pieces of driftwood added and re-arranged plants (gone back to full on green for now)
20230211_193417.jpg

Fish are still on point and showning some unreal colour🤩😎 much more comfortable around me than the central tank fish are. My Blue Acara curles up in my hand like a puppy lol 🙂
20230114_144035.jpg

Little Rio is housing my juvenile Keyholes atm. Ill be moving these over to their own tank soon once my Ellioti babies move on. Growing lovely tho🙂
20230130_171453.jpg
20230213_220955.jpg
20230213_221016.jpg
20230213_221020.jpg

🙂

Last edited:
@anewbie
Water parameters for tank are Gh 9.1/ Kh 7 / Ph 7.4 /Temp 25c-77f

South tank with a couple of central hitchhikers
20230224_173853.jpg

Species...

Heros efasciatus- Rokteil severum⬇️
20221111_172603(0).jpg

Andinoacara pulcher -Eletric blue acara⬇️20221103_205725.jpg
Hypsophrys nicaraguensis-Nicaraguan/macaw cichlid⬇️20230131_191158.jpg
Sajica cichlid -T-bar cichlid ⬇️20230224_173952.jpg
Geophagus surinamensis⬇️
20221231_172442.jpg
Megalechis thoracata-Hoplo catfish⬇️20221103_205834.jpg
Albino Longfin bristlenose plecos⬇️20220829_131031.jpg
Erpetoichthys calabaricus-Rope/Reed/snakehead fish⬇️
20221113_191305.jpg

Gymnocorymbus ternetzi- Black skirt Tetra ⬇️20220829_153710.jpg
🙂

The colours and personalities in this tank are just insane 🤩🤩🤩😍. Tried to capture it for you guys and girls but not sure the video does them juctice.

Top piece of wood im using this tank to sink atm for another scape as ive not got a bucket big enough and i dont think my wife would welcome it in one of the baths 🤣.

Last edited:
Really cool. Reminds me how much I missed my clown loach - no I'm not having another big tank ;)

Well if the wife wouldn’t be happy about using the bath then Simplest answer for sinking the wood is to get rid of the wife😂

You know you want too 🤣

What did you stock in your big tank Sean? Any pictures of your clowns
No pics. I never knew very much when I set it up. It started as a high tech heavily planted tank in 2004 and I kept it until 2015 when I could no longer avoid re-decorating the room it was in. The stand had partially collapsed and at 450 litres moving it was impossible. I bought my Aquaone, took what I was not keeping to the LFS and moved the filter and the rest of the fish into the new tank.

Billy the bulldozer was one of the first fish to go in there (I rehomed his 3 siblings when I downsized). I started with 5 clown loach, 3 were still alive when I downsized - these were also re-homed as they were in the 10-12" range. The Corys and tetras I moved to my current tank. Along the way I had a selection of livebearers in there as well as amano shrimp. I started with 3 angels, but inevitably only the strongest survived. He was already gone when I took it down. I dumped all the livebearers at the LFS (they were already used to bags of fry weekly). Along the way I also added an EBJD. He was beautiful but way too aggressive when he grew up and I returned him after a couple of months.

No pics. I never knew very much when I set it up. It started as a high tech heavily planted tank in 2004 and I kept it until 2015 when I could no longer avoid re-decorating the room it was in. The stand had partially collapsed and at 450 litres moving it was impossible. I bought my Aquaone, took what I was not keeping to the LFS and moved the filter and the rest of the fish into the new tank.

Billy the bulldozer was one of the first fish to go in there (I rehomed his 3 siblings when I downsized). I started with 5 clown loach, 3 were still alive when I downsized - these were also re-homed as they were in the 10-12" range. The Corys and tetras I moved to my current tank. Along the way I had a selection of livebearers in there as well as amano shrimp. I started with 3 angels, but inevitably only the strongest survived. He was already gone when I took it down. I dumped all the livebearers at the LFS (they were already used to bags of fry weekly). Along the way I also added an EBJD. He was beautiful but way too aggressive when he grew up and I returned him after a couple of months.
You had the 450 a good while then. Would of loved to of seen your clown loach and Ebjd🙂

Think you will ever get another big tank?

The colours and personalities in this tank are just insane 🤩🤩🤩😍. Tried to capture it for you guys and girls but not sure the video does them juctice.

Top piece of wood im using this tank to sink atm for another scape as ive not got a bucket big enough and i dont think my wife would welcome it in one of the baths 🤣.
I don't get it - ihave 10 clown loaches in my aquarium and they all hide whenever i look at them - well the two 5 inch ones don't but they sleep all day; which isn't too entertaining either.
---

Btw did i miss identify fishes or did you mix hard water fishes (rainbow cichild) with softwater fishes (clown/denton barbs/...) ?

I don't get it - ihave 10 clown loaches in my aquarium and they all hide whenever i look at them - well the two 5 inch ones don't but they sleep all day; which isn't too entertaining either.
---

Btw did i miss identify fishes or did you mix hard water fishes (rainbow cichild) with softwater fishes (clown/denton barbs/...) ?
The Rainbow cichlids and barbs are in my Central tank.
My water comes out at 9.1(gh) in hardness so its sits pretty much between South and Central water ranges. Rainbows cichlids range from 9 to 20 gh and clowns more softer water between 5 to12 so im luckily in that i can have fish from either side🙂

Been luckily tbf they dont hide at all, always out and about and come straight to the top of the tank with the other fish at feeding time🙂

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back