Big River South

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
๐Ÿ† Click to enter! ๐Ÿ†

All looking really good.
I was interested to see how your cichlids got on with your plants, because apparently the popular notion is that you can't have plants in a tank with cichlids, especially the larger ones.
I think that is the case with certain cichlids, some will dig up and some will eat your plants but that isnt the case with all. You can get plant safe species.

Ive found mine to be perfectly fine with most plants that ive added to the tank. Only problem ive had is my big Bocourti took exception to some vallisneria and a certain type of sword i put in but other than that ive been lucky so far.

It isn't just cichlids some catfish like retarded pleco will dig non-stop. I had one bn in a 29 that dug non stop until i purchased him a cave - he uprooted everything and this was a well established tank (2 years old); was quite annoying every morning he would dig a 2 inch deep pit that was 3 inches wide in a new spot.

It isn't just cichlids some catfish like retarded pleco will dig non-stop. I had one bn in a 29 that dug non stop until i purchased him a cave - he uprooted everything and this was a well established tank (2 years old); was quite annoying every morning he would dig a 2 inch deep pit that was 3 inches wide in a new spot.
I had the very same issue with my Bn pleco for a while. He would dig up and cause havoc in my 29g on a daily basis. I tried 2 or 3 different set ups to try and make it pleco friendly and luckily he settled for one in the end.

Ive actually got him in a well planted 47g now which amazes me coinsidering what he was once like. Very well behaved now.

The cave makes sense because i had a stone cave at first but took it out to make the tank look more natural and thats when my problems with him begun. I did put a slate cave in its place but he didnt like it and settled up the corner my the filter till i moved him. He lives in some hollow driftwood now.

Ive tried to get some good pic's but its pretty impossible with these guys.

Love my little Ellioti fry๐Ÿ˜ They looking really good atm and this batch is the best so far. Im going to up feeding and water changes now to get them nice and big.

Not got a clue what im going to do with 50 odd cichlids when its time to move on but im enjoying watching them grow for now ๐Ÿ™‚ nearly time to set up a bigger grow out tank.
20211218_074935.jpg
20211218_173339.jpg
20211218_173516.jpg
20211218_173539.jpg
20211218_173602.jpg
20211218_173656.jpg
20211218_173742.jpg
20211218_173735.jpg
20211218_173619.jpg

Love my little Ellioti fry๐Ÿ˜ They looking really good atm and this batch is the best so far. Im going to up feeding and water changes now to get them nice and big.

Not got a clue what im going to do with 50 odd cichlids when its time to move on but im enjoying watching them grow for now ๐Ÿ™‚ nearly time to set up a bigger grow out tank.
Well... I would think that would be obvious since you love them; you will need to look into that 800 gallon aquarium you've been dreaming of purchasing...

:wub:

@anewbie yes your spot on, i forgot to click it over from private

Last edited:
Ive tried to get some good pic's but its pretty impossible with these guys.

Not got a clue what im going to do with 50 odd cichlids when its time to move on but im enjoying watching them grow for now ๐Ÿ™‚ nearly time to set up a bigger grow out tank. View attachment 150209View attachment 150210View attachment 150211View attachment 150212View attachment 150213View attachment 150215View attachment 150216View attachment 150219View attachment 150222
outstanding photos! Iโ€™m all jealous! what are those big rocks?

outstanding photos! Iโ€™m all jealous! what are those big rocks?
Dragon rock :) ive got 20kg spare from when i rescaped the big tank so i thought id use some in the fry tank

Oh no:( its playing for me, ill have a look at the settings to see if somethings stopping it.
gotta make it public; always test by opening an incog window ;)

When you treat yourself to a King tiger๐Ÿ‘‘
20211227_124545.jpg
20211227_124534.jpg
20211227_124342.jpg
20211227_132130.jpg

Ill take some more pic's once settled. His white stripe in the store was so striking!

I know hes been in store for a couple of months aswel so nice and heathly ๐Ÿ™‚

Last edited:
Sadly mine has yellow stripes; but he is family now:
shy.jpg

Sadly mine has yellow stripes; but he is family now:
View attachment 150854
Hes cool๐Ÿ˜ i like the yellow. I was looking at the golden nuggets because the yellow in them.

There was good choice at my LFS tbf but the other plec's were quite small for my tank. It was between the tiger or a spotted pleco in the end. I just fell in love with the colour and the markings of the tiger

How big is yours now and whats does he live with?

Hes cool๐Ÿ˜ i like the yellow. I was looking at the golden nuggets because the yellow in them.

There was good choice at my LFS tbf but the other plec's were quite small for my tank. It was between the tiger or a spotted pleco in the end. I just fell in love with the colour and the markings of the tiger

How big is yours now and whats does he live with?
He is somewhere between 4 and 5 inches; i've had him for a couple of years so i think he is full grown at this point. The tank is a 29 with 2 hongsloi; 7 sterbai; 9 cardinals; 2 L204; 1 nijjensi (female); and 5 P. maculicauda. In practice it is over crowded; but most of them manage to stay out of sight when I take pictures. The cardinals were meant for the angel tank but they were too small when purchased so when they get larger i might round them up and move them over to the 120. The nijjensi mate died after a few months; i've had her for nearly 2 years now but ended up with hongsloi instead of a new male for her. The L204 - well not sure what to do with them - i have 5 in the 120; i think they will likely stay in the 29 till after i move and setup the 450 and then they will go in the 450 - that'll leave the 29 mostly empty with the hongsloi and L333 (the sterbai will get moved with the other sterbai i have into a 400 with rams and geo).

29w_new.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back