Big River South

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Sorry lol this one https://www.youtube.com/user/lee1973n

With the river rocks and the wood it reminded me of he tanks. He has a book as well not sure if its still available though.

Wills
Love it wills. Really like the look of overhanging branches and how natural he makes his tanks look.

My problem is my Ocd makes my tank look too unnatural lol

Thanks for the link, similar setups to what ive been looking at on google images. Sure to be some inspiration on them.

On a plus note ive got back to the tank looking ok. Shes had another go at the new swords but left the other plants.

Didnt realise once they matured they come full on herbivores!! o_O I have been half thinking lately whether i should rehome them with the worry of my tank being too small eventually. Tough decision tho because big girls probably my favourite fish (although she causes more trouble lol)

Had a busy few days setting up my new upgrade for the barbs and im glad to finally get stuck in.

Thought id do another journal because i like to look back through to see the progress the tanks made and if anyone can take something from it then thats a bonus :)

So tank arrived Thursday, after work i manged to get it in the house :flex:View attachment 133491(This tank is a monster, makes my roma look like a fish bowl)

I built the cabinet and removed the Juwel internal filter, which wasnt as easy as i thought and a tad stressful lol.

Next day i spent from 7.30am to 8.15pm setting everything up. Had some issues on the way with the background and External heater. I used poster fix this time round to secure the background.....awful stuff:oh:just left smear marks so i ripped it off and started again.

Tanks up and running with substrate and hardscape in place. Its in a fresh cycle so the barbs will stay in the 200 for a little while longer. Need to sort heating out and get some plants ordered but im happy-ish with the start of this tanks journey.
View attachment 133489View attachment 133490
Absolutely beautiful! Looking forward to more pics.

On a plus note ive got back to the tank looking ok. Shes had another go at the new swords but left the other plants.

Didnt realise once they matured they come full on herbivores!! o_O I have been half thinking lately whether i should rehome them with the worry of my tank being too small eventually. Tough decision tho because big girls probably my favourite fish (although she causes more trouble lol)

I didnt either tbh I'd be surprised by that as most CA lakes and rivers are pretty barren compared to SA where you get proper herbivoires like Uarus and Severums? They will likely try and push things around though lol.

Maybe try and focus on things like Java Ferns, Anubias and Bucephalandra? Or wedge plants into gaps between rocks which can look really natural when done.

Having a look at the size Bocourti get females are said to not go over 25cm or 9 inches which is probably about the limit I'd like in a 20 inch tank but I think you would be a good long term home for her. With fish like this I think you have to be absolutely sure someone else will do a better job. Would they be better in a 6x2 possibly but I'd rather her be in a 5x20" with someone who knows what they are doing.

Do you still have that big branch from page 1 of this journal? That would look great mixed with this big chunk of wood now and you would probably be able to break the surface which would look great.

Wills

I didnt either tbh I'd be surprised by that as most CA lakes and rivers are pretty barren compared to SA where you get proper herbivoires like Uarus and Severums? They will likely try and push things around though lol.

Maybe try and focus on things like Java Ferns, Anubias and Bucephalandra? Or wedge plants into gaps between rocks which can look really natural when done.

Having a look at the size Bocourti get females are said to not go over 25cm or 9 inches which is probably about the limit I'd like in a 20 inch tank but I think you would be a good long term home for her. With fish like this I think you have to be absolutely sure someone else will do a better job. Would they be better in a 6x2 possibly but I'd rather her be in a 5x20" with someone who knows what they are doing.

Do you still have that big branch from page 1 of this journal? That would look great mixed with this big chunk of wood now and you would probably be able to break the surface which would look great.

Wills
Shes only just started with plants and has only gone for the vals i had and the new swords i introduced. All the other older swords and crypts, Anubias etc shes not touched. (And for now shes just pulling at them rather than eat them)

Ive never rehomed fish before so its an absolute last resort for me. I really like the Bocourti and was ok until i started doing more research last week. Some fish keepers online was saying they should be in 300 gallon tanks which i cant see me wanting anything that big in the future.

SF say they should go in tanks of 566 litres so mine (508) isnt to far off. Think ill let them grow and once mature ill have a better view on what will be best for them. Ill upgrade to a 180g one day but not for a few years yet.

I have still got that piece and did try and fit it in but it looked a bit too much. Think im going to try lay the big piece of bogwood down and look for some nice driftwood branches to have the over hanging look. Ive got loads more river rock to chose from if needed and then tan the water with some leaf litter and rooibos.

Something like below.
Screenshot_20211030-125849_YouTube.jpg

Just not sure whether to go plantless

300 gallons would be great :D but lets be realistic how many 300 gallon tanks are in the UK? If you could get a 180 great but I do think your tank is a good home for her. You're not even talking Oscar/ Severum size with this fish so think about what the recommended sizes are for them - Youve got a well sized 120G which is great for them.

Really like the tank plan I can see it working with what you have now, I wouldnt give up on plants you need something to help with the waste the big fish will put out. You might just need to find a compromise with the fish lol. Or you could look at riparium planting which is what I'm going to do on my big tank with a peace lilly or monstera.

Wills

300 gallons would be great :D but lets be realistic how many 300 gallon tanks are in the UK? If you could get a 180 great but I do think your tank is a good home for her. You're not even talking Oscar/ Severum size with this fish so think about what the recommended sizes are for them - Youve got a well sized 120G which is great for them.

Really like the tank plan I can see it working with what you have now, I wouldnt give up on plants you need something to help with the waste the big fish will put out. You might just need to find a compromise with the fish lol. Or you could look at riparium planting which is what I'm going to do on my big tank with a peace lilly or monstera.

Wills
Thanks wills:drinks:

Nice to have some reassurance from someone whos kept big cichlids before. Still all new to me the cichlid world lol

Their growing well and looking healthy so they just need me to get their habitat right now

Thanks wills:drinks:

Nice to have some reassurance from someone whos kept big cichlids before. Still all new to me the cichlid world lol

Their growing well and looking healthy so they just need me to get their habitat right now
I have to admit she is bigger than my biggest but your tank is better suited to it than mine. You might find she slows down soon the first year is often quite quick then its years before they look like the impressive big fish you see online.

Your tank has proper got me itching for my bigger tank....

Wills

Seen this before looks great - this video is what made me want a 3D background in tanks too :)

Wills
Stunning! Simple set ups in a way but certainly affective with those backgrounds :wub:

Going to look into them but i bet they are pricey!! Specially for a 5ft tank

Though actually maybe not all models just did their calculator on a 4x2 tank and it came out £293 on some of the nice rock ones. I think the one I costed at about £800 was one you dont have to silicone in?

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back