Big River South

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Looks great really love the scape! The Boucourti are stunning so jealous still cant get over the fact they were in a mixed cichlid tank! Is the smaller ones dorsal fin damage or has it always been like that?

Looks great really love the scape! The Boucourti are stunning so jealous still cant get over the fact they were in a mixed cichlid tank! Is the smaller ones dorsal fin damage or has it always been like that?
1622927821545.png

Been like it since i had them from LFS. Id guess its been missing from birth. Hes not growing as quick as big brother (im guessing their male)

@Wills

Ever done cories with Cichlids?
I'd stick to your Hoplos with these guys in, I've not had any cories for a long long time. Closest I had was Flagtail Catfish in with mine but I've not kept anything the size your Boucourti will get to haha :)

Brochis could work? Big chunky adults are really substantial fish but I do feel that your Hoplos are the best choice here.

In terms of genders for your Bocourti I think the big one could be female as they have rounded fins but would give them a few more months before its 100%. Males should have pointed dorsal and anal fins.

Wills

I'd stick to your Hoplos with these guys in, I've not had any cories for a long long time. Closest I had was Flagtail Catfish in with mine but I've not kept anything the size your Boucourti will get to haha :)

Brochis could work? Big chunky adults are really substantial fish but I do feel that your Hoplos are the best choice here.

In terms of genders for your Bocourti I think the big one could be female as they have rounded fins but would give them a few more months before its 100%. Males should have pointed dorsal and anal fins.

Wills
Oh thats suprised me although i did think it maybe to early to tell yet.

Thinking of something to stir the sand up a bit more. Hoplos do a bit but swim alot more than cories, whiptail dont really get around so much. Did a 70% water change today and vac'd over the sand to get it spotless, within minutes of finishing im getting debris back. (OCD alert)

Cant be bad flow because ive got the 2 cainsters.

I know what you mean active bottom dwellers really help when you have big fish. Wondering about something like pictus cats? Or since your not a biotope some kind of medium loach like skunks? But a group of either of them would add to your bio load quite a bit... maybe a few more hoplos? They get more and more active in a group and adding 2 more would be bette than a group of a new fish?

What about some synodontis like polli or petricolla maybe even cuckoos?

Our August Tank of the Month contest will feature tanks sized at 31 gallons and larger. hint...hint ;)

What about some synodontis like polli or petricolla maybe even cuckoos?
I do really like the synodontis. It was them or the hoplos when i was looking at bottom dwellers last time for my 200.

Think a wave maker could help instead of adding more live stock?
Our August Tank of the Month contest will feature tanks sized at 31 gallons and larger. hint...hint ;)
Ive already done TOTM before with my 200. Id feel unfair entering again

When did you win TOTM? I dont see your tank on our Wall of Fame . You surely can enter a different tank in an upcoming contest.

I do really like the synodontis. It was them or the hoplos when i was looking at bottom dwellers last time for my 200.

Think a wave maker could help instead of adding more live stock?

Ive already done TOTM before with my 200. Id feel unfair entering again
Could do, but it also could just condense it all into one area which is what I've had happen in the past. I had a group of 5 Nanoleuteus in the same size tank as this and I just got a huge poop corner all the time. Which I didnt have when I had my catfish in there but trying to be a pureist Central American catfish just are not a thing... I have a really good little powerhead, dont use it at the moment but kept it for the future, its super small but belts out upto 3000lph! And it has variable flow settings which might be quite good here. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083LP42WZ/?tag=ff0d01-20

You can also get powerheads with variable outlets, its basically a semi flexible outlet pipe so the pressure moves it around naturally which again might help as it will mean its not just a constant flow in one direction.

Wills

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Could do, but it also could just condense it all into one area which is what I've had happen in the past. I had a group of 5 Nanoleuteus in the same size tank as this and I just got a huge poop corner all the time. Which I didnt have when I had my catfish in there but trying to be a pureist Central American catfish just are not a thing... I have a really good little powerhead, dont use it at the moment but kept it for the future, its super small but belts out upto 3000lph! And it has variable flow settings which might be quite good here. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083LP42WZ/?tag=ff0d01-20

You can also get powerheads with variable outlets, its basically a semi flexible outlet pipe so the pressure moves it around naturally which again might help as it will mean its not just a constant flow in one direction.

Wills
Thanks for the link Wills, ill have a look into these powerheads :good:Im probably just being fussy tbh20210606_085156.jpg
20210606_085133.jpg

This was this morning after a treat feed last night and its not messy at all, just my tank OCD wanting it spotless lol

I might add a small powerhead to see what it does and introduce a few more hoplos just to make them feel more comfortable in a bigger group.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It looks really good :) I'd be the same now if I had clear sand lol. One thing you could do is (and sorry I know you've just rescaped lol), not hide the inlet pipe. If its got clear flow from the tank it will suck out more :) If you are not too keen on the standard pipes you could look at getting the steel ones which look a bit cooler.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back