Big River South

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AquaBarb

Aqua}^>holic
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
Reaction score
Had a busy few days setting up my new upgrade for the barbs and im glad to finally get stuck in.

Thought id do another journal because i like to look back through to see the progress the tanks made and if anyone can take something from it then thats a bonus :)

So tank arrived Thursday, after work i manged to get it in the house :flex:
20210404_083356.jpg
(This tank is a monster, makes my roma look like a fish bowl)

I built the cabinet and removed the Juwel internal filter, which wasnt as easy as i thought and a tad stressful lol.

Next day i spent from 7.30am to 8.15pm setting everything up. Had some issues on the way with the background and External heater. I used poster fix this time round to secure the background.....awful stuff:oh:just left smear marks so i ripped it off and started again.

Tanks up and running with substrate and hardscape in place. Its in a fresh cycle so the barbs will stay in the 200 for a little while longer. Need to sort heating out and get some plants ordered but im happy-ish with the start of this tanks journey.
20210403_230247.jpg
20210403_231739.jpg

Yes! Another journal!! ???

So is this going to have odessa, torpedo and ruby barbs? What temp will you be keeping it at?

Yes! Another journal!! ???

So is this going to have odessa, torpedo and ruby barbs? What temp will you be keeping it at?
Yeah along with the Rosy's. I may up some of my groups but im not sure what will join them yet. It will be 25c again.

Not sure what to do with the hoplo cats and apistos yet. Got to decide what im doing with my other tanks. Im either going to just shut the 200 down or set it up elsewhere and combine my 105 and 85 tanks together to go in the 200 and close them down instead.

Think i may struggle to get an external heater to fit my cainster filter with having such big hoses. So looks like ill need two 300w internals and ill hook them into a inkbird instead.

Thinking of getting some eheim jager's. Heard good things about them

Anyone ever had issues with jagers?

To be honest, with just barbs, id be tempted to go unheated.

To be honest, with just barbs, id be tempted to go unheated.
I dont think i could do unheated. The water would easily drop below 20c without an heater and i wouldnt want them below 22c.

Real good chance other species will be added later on too :whistle:

Think i may struggle to get an external heater to fit my cainster filter with having such big hoses. So looks like ill need two 300w internals and ill hook them into a inkbird instead.

Thinking of getting some eheim jager's. Heard good things about them

Anyone ever had issues with jagers?
I hear really good things about Eheim heaters, so if you are looking for a heater, I would go with those.

I dont think i could do unheated. The water would easily drop below 20c without an heater and i wouldnt want them below 22c.
My heater died and the tank dropped to 18C (65F) overnight, my Tiger and Odessa barbs were not happy, four of them gave me the flipper:rolleyes: They were all roaming the bottom with no energy at all. So yea, I agree, get a heater.

My heater died and the tank dropped to 18C (65F) overnight, my Tiger and Odessa barbs were not happy, four of them gave me the flipper:rolleyes: They were all roaming the bottom with no energy at all. So yea, I agree, get a heater.
Yeh, they wouldn't be happy with a drop in temp over a short period, but they would be fine at 18c otherwise.
Depends on your home too.. if the room can get quite cold over night then good to have a heater to catch it at those points and maintain a regular temp. I keep my barbs and danios at 20c.

I had a heater go in my 15g about a month ago (the only tank with just one heater as it happens:dunno:) i came home from work to do some maintance on the tank and it was freezing. Checked temp and it was 15.9c :crazy:

Luckily the cories in the tank where all well and fine.

Yeh, they wouldn't be happy with a drop in temp over a short period, but they would be fine at 18c otherwise.
Depends on your home too.. if the room can get quite cold over night then good to have a heater to catch it at those points and maintain a regular temp. I keep my barbs and danios at 20c.
Just out of curiosity ive just checked the tank and its running at 20.4c so it would be possible i suppose where this tank is situated but Cichlids seem to be taking up alot of my attention lol

Depends on your home too.. if the room can get quite cold over night then good to have a heater to catch it at those points and maintain a regular temp.
In the winter, I turn down the heat to 13C during the day and at night, I need a heater.

I am concerned about summertime, the tank is in a finished attic space. I may have to run an AC unit during heat waves, it can get 35C on hot days.

Looking really cool :) 2 things I'd think about - first can you turn the big bit of wood a bit so the branch pointing towards the back points up, it looks like it would break the surface which would look good. Second can you make all the rocks so the lines in them point in the same direction, it looks like most of them go horizontal but just a few that go diagonal or vertical that stand out. If you put them all in the same direction you get the effect that its a real river and the grooves and lines have been formed by years of water rushing in the same direction.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back