Big pothos added to goldfish tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

FishHobby99

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I have been motivated to step up my roots in the tank project by @desaltmelosguy. Was rooting pothos in water to be added to tank, but bought a plant to jumpstart the process. Took hours to wash soil from the compacted roots. Much white gravely looking stuff, probable perlite per quick Google, clung to the roots.

I cut the bottom from a flimsy pot & attached it to the tank with a S hook. The leaves are kept out of the water by the LED light strip & a section of the same grid @desaltmemosguy uses. The grid will support the ā€œbambooā€ he favors. His largely quantitative data says drastic nitrate drops in 2 weeks with pothos & 4 for the other plant. Will be interesting to see if mine drops to zero given a low level is present in the tap water.

Attachments

• F2E50A0B-BDF8-4D44-8245-F168C4AF4844.jpeg
    F2E50A0B-BDF8-4D44-8245-F168C4AF4844.jpeg
    263.9 KB · Views: 34
Wow, it looks really nice! I bet the fish like the roots. I didn't realize they could actually rest in the water! Do the fish eat the roots? I know the stems and leaves are toxic, but not sure about the roots. It looks really lovely. Makes me wanna move my golden pothos around a bit...

Nothing is toxic: neither roots, stems, or leaves. Let me see if I can find a brilliant recent post on this topic for you by @desaltmelosguy. He researched the issue with an ichthyologist & 2 other marine biologist types. I initially hesitated on going all out on pothos due to posts here, however all my own research found pothos safe. @dasaltemelosguy provides scientific rationale as to why. So Iā€™m jumping into faster as he also says how to support the plants. He didnā€™t use a potted plant like I did today, rather a grid for cuttings that I purchased at Loweā€™s & will use to add more plants.

You wouldnā€™t want the leaves in the water anyway. Some dropped into the tank & turned white & died. The stems would do ok. So far the fish are ignoring the roots.

Nothing is toxic: neither roots, stems, or leaves. Let me see if I can find a brilliant recent post on this topic for you by @desaltmelosguy. He researched the issue with an ichthyologist & 2 other marine biologist types. I initially hesitated on going all out on pothos due to posts here, however all my own research found pothos safe. @dasaltemelosguy provides scientific rationale as to why. So Iā€™m jumping into faster as he also says how to support the plants. He didnā€™t use a potted plant like I did today, rather a grid for cuttings that I purchased at Loweā€™s & will use to add more plants.

You wouldnā€™t want the leaves in the water anyway. Some dropped into the tank & turned white & died. The stems would do ok. So far the fish are ignoring the roots.
Ohhhhhh ok, interesting! I know pothos are toxic to cats, dogs, and kids, but I guess must not have any affect on fish/tanks?

Ohhhhhh ok, interesting! I know pothos are toxic to cats, dogs, and kids, but I guess must not have any affect on fish/tanks?
I donā€˜t know how to get his post from me to you. Itā€™s fascinating with some of the finest photography Iā€™ve seen. Professional quality. Try doing a search here on @desaltmelosguy & you should get to it. His posts are recent.

I have cats & dogs & pothos & many plants all over. Theyā€™ve never bothered any. I am extremely cautious with my parrots, they may very well nibble on leaves.

I found it and read it. That is incredible! Now I wanna go out and get more pothos, some monstera, and lucky bamboo lol!

I found it and read it. That is incredible!
Did you see those pics? OMG! Beautiful! I bought that grid he has for $17 at Loweā€™s. Replaced the mesh axie lid with it, cut out a section for the HOB filter. Will shove many pothos cuttings in soon. Enough grid left for a rear strip in the goldfish tank & still some. Think it was 2x4 feet.

Pathos is toxic, but as the article explains the crystals that contain the irritant canā€™t be broken down in water.
Yes, it requires strong acid to be broken down. @desaltmelosguy explains all that.

Did you see those pics? OMG! Beautiful! I bought that grid he has for $17 at Loweā€™s. Replaced the mesh axie lid with it, cut out a section for the HOB filter. Will shove many pothos cuttings in soon. Enough grid left for a rear strip in the goldfish tank & still some. Think it was 2x4 feet.
YES! Incredible clarity. Wow, I might just have to grab some of that grid too! Definitely moving my pothos out of its pot and into the tank soon!

Be prepared to spend a LONG time washing the roots! I swirled them in a bucket of water that had to be emptied many times.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back