Big Nano (fowlr)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Robert247

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi from this point where i am writing my journal it is the day after i have added my first fish so we gona have to travel back through time and space lol!

Ever since i set up my first tropical fish tank i have always loved the marine fish(not since finding nemo) (and corals and inverts as well but i don't really have the time and money time bieng more long term as i may be going to university in years to come and wouldnt realy trust anyone i know to look after them or expect them to look after them for that matter).

when i had finished reading up and many thanks to you guys i finally went out and got my setup:
Second hand beach rio 125 with stand, standard internal filter and power-head as well as a external fluvel304
Second hand red sea prizm protein skimmer head it wasn't to good by since some people say they are not essential i guess it was worth £40 yes, no?
hydrometer
master test kit
thermometer/hydrometer combi
bucket
aragonite coral sand
missed anything?

My 304 external
fluvel304.jpg

My internal
intheinternal.jpg

oxygenating tap water in my tank prior to adding salt (yes i know RO RO RO all my water changes from now on will be RO)
P1010051.jpg

3 kg of live rock
P8300096.jpg

after my nitrite had spiked and dropped to 0 I went out and got my first fish(Ambon damsel (Pomacentrus amboinensis)) and one turbo snail and turned on my skimmer my water perameters are not brilliant as my nitrate is very heigh (20) but has come down somewhat frow water changes.
Mustardamsel.jpg

and here is my tank as it stands today and although it may not be as exiting as a big reef aquarium i love it!! :D and so does he :fish:
mytank.jpg

any comment good or bad appreciated and understood, and maby further stocking sugestions?
anything wrong with the post plz let me know ty.

Great start Robert :D It's refreshing to see someone else doing a FOWLR :good:

I have just bought 1 more turbo snail and 2 snorkel snails that hide under the sand can anyone give me any info on them or point me in the direction of some also what are they actually called because i cant find any info on them under the name of snorkel snail (which is the name i bought them under)
I thought they were £3 turbo snails later to find that they where £10 each! but he said i could have the three snails (turbo and 2 snorkel snails for £10 which isn't bad.

no sorry i diddnt word that very well the wierd burrowing snails where 10 each there was only a lable on the tanks for turbos so i just assumed they where turbos I go 1 turbo and 2 burrowing snaiks for £10 I wouldnt spend £10 on 1 snail!!!
also they seem to have a more shinyer and smoother shell than that of the picture also do they like a deep substrate i only have a thin one but i have loads left over that i diddnt put in.
turbo snails are £3 each.

I am relocating my tank its a bit noisy in my room so i am gonna move it downstairs its a bit light in the place i am moving it to bit it is not direct sunlight also it will get a lot more viewing pleasure and it will be the first thing i will see when i come home from work or college. :fish:
I have also bought some premixed RO water which should make it easier.
does anyone know the best way to catch a damsel fish as they are pretty fast. i will probably take all the rock out first the little thing will be impossible to catch with all the rocks in!

I moved my tank successfully took about 2 hours but the change of rocks didnt stop the damsel trying to tare my newly introduced clowns to shreds. I said trying as i managed to catch him and take him back :byebye: i feel really sorry for the little bugger as i really got attached to him and he loved it in my tank hiding in all the rocks and when i go to my lfs he is always there in a little tank with just a little rock :-( still its better than dead fish :rolleyes: although i am not 100% sure it was gona be the damsel that was gona win the clowns where giving it back pretty good too and the only damage i could see to any of them was a slight tare in the damsels dorsal fin. (royal rumble lol)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back