Big Ear Spawn

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Reaction score
Last night at 7:00pm I set up my breeding tank. I put my male in the tank and then the female floated in a cup. In the morning I saw my male had started to make a nest under a Indian almond leaf. This was around 7:00am I let the female out. She followed the male around they checked each other out. They also were showing off a lot. No nipping at all during this time.

Later in the day my male has a larger bubble nest he is trying hard to impress the female his nest is getting big. There have been some nips. Now this evening the female goes to the nest checks it out and then goes away. They dance a little I feel like any moment it will happen it is driving me crazy.

They are not nipping or being aggressive just getting to know each other. This is both of their first time. So it is taking a long time.

Aww congrats on their first attempt! Lets hope it happens soon. Keep us updated.

The suspens is killing me. They both have never done this and it seems like both are unsure about what to do. The male keeps making the nest bigger and the female will go to the nest and check it out. One time the male almost got here I thought they he was going to embrase but she got away. Its been like this all day..They are still getting to know eachother I think.  I have not had any damage to anyones fins. They are playing nice. The male will go after her like crazy form time to time. but no one gets hurt. Things are going will Its just waiting for them to get it and spawn. 

snowflake311 said:
The suspens is killing me. They both have never done this and it seems like both are unsure about what to do. The male keeps making the nest bigger and the female will go to the nest and check it out. One time the male almost got here I thought they he was going to embrase but she got away. Its been like this all day..They are still getting to know eachother I think.  I have not had any damage to anyones fins. They are playing nice. The male will go after her like crazy form time to time. but no one gets hurt. Things are going will Its just waiting for them to get it and spawn. 

Aww that's cute! Just leave them to do it in their own time-but hurry up about it lol! That's good that they aren't being nasty to each other. Just a matter of time now.

I went shopping and came home around 1:30 in the afternoon and they were doing it. The male was trying to wrap around the female but he was not getting it right. It is now 4:44pm and they are still going at it I can see eggs and a good amount of them. I think my male finally got the hang of it. I just hope they are fertilized.

Now for the hard part raising the fry. I ordered some vineger eels and I have my bbs hatcher going. I have live plants in the tank from a mature tank and the fry can feed off the micro organisms on there. So I hope I can keep the fry alive.

I have a spong filter ready to go when the fry are bigger.
Any tips?

I removed the male he was useless after the spawn ignored the eggs. I am trying to hatch the egg in a separate container. I am 90% sure the eggs are all bad I will check in the morning.

My male is too young and dumb I guess I will grow him out a bit more befor I try him again. My female did great she is a good betta mom or a good as they come. I should have left her with the eggs.

I will try her again in 2 weeks with my other male who is a HM not dumbo. It will be an experiment . I got the to turn my spare room into a betta room.

Aww that's a shame. Yeah maybe wait then.
Wow yeah you will need a spare room to put all the tanks for the babies! Good luck.

This was a good read! I hope your next attempt runs smoother, though :D.

When I saw the males half ass attempt at the embrases I knew the spawn did not go well. My male did it right only 2 times I saw and both times the female popped out of his grip. So disappointing because I really think the 2 would have great babies. I will let him grow a bit more before I try him again.

I am going to do a kind of practice spawn with my daughters fish and my dumbo female.

I am going to see what happens when I breed these 2. I don't expect any thing amazing from this spawn. It's more of a lets see what happens and if I get any dumbos.

The female is said to be a hm also.
mrsbetta4_zps9717d71d.jpg

The male is a hm
ReadyTail_zps9ccaaaf9.jpg

Lovely, good luck and I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing some fry pics :)

Shelster said:
Lovely, good luck and I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing some fry pics :)
I have another female on the way. I could not help myself. I got a interesting fish for a great deal at petsmart. I think with the right female he could give me a few good fish. He has a long flat body. He body and head shape remind me of a wild betta. I know he is not wild but you get what I am saying.

Here he is a big ear dragon scale hmpk. Pretty cool I think. I am still not sure if I should breed him. He is skinny I am feeding him extra and doing wc every other day. He is doing great now but still need to fatten up.

roundhead_zpsf817234e.jpg

roundheadFIN_zpsb27be1d4.jpg

His tail fin looks has a funk bent ray not sure if that's from poor condition. You can see how cool his color is in this photo too.
roundheadTail_zps47b5a453.jpg

As you can see my focus is big ear hmpk I love them I am over the long fins but I love the long pectorals its the best of both worlds.
I love the dumbo aka big ear hmpk they are my weakness and I can't wait to start breeding my own.

Gorgeous!
You're lucky to have such gorgeous Bettas available to you.
I hope you're successful in breeding them and I wish you luck :)

Stunning colours! Lucky you!

Most reactions

Back