BIG Cities.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Back in the fold

That One Guy
Reaction score
I was watching the news last night and they said that Houston Texas was soon to become the fifth largest megalopolis in the United States. There are people on this forum from London England and I am led to believe that London is no small town at all. My little Burg of Billings Montana is so small that you can drive to and from it's farthest extremities in a half hour during peak traffic. Billings is also the biggest town in Montana. Not saying much. So tell me you big city dwellers, what's it like ? Is it scary ? Is it daunting ? I drove through Salt Lake City once and it terrified me. What are the advantages and down sides ? Are these big giant cities a haven of drugs, crime and murder that only a nut would live in ? A small town Rube wants to know.

:whistle:We’re already the 4th largest city so if we’re about to become the 5th then we are going down.

Not scary at all. We just leave our keys in the car and the front door wide open so the thugs don’t bother us at night. Of course, with all of the drugs in our system, we probably wouldn’t wake up anyway. :rofl:

Last edited:
Seriously, most Houstonians live in suburbs and not in the city.

Well, if border control seizes all of the aliens we could shrink in size.

Hey ! I just remembered. Didn't Houston wash down the river into the Gulf of Mexico in a fairly recent hurricane ? I saw pictures on the news and that looked really grim. Didn't everybody leave ? I would have.

Hey ! I just remembered. Didn't Houston wash down the river into the Gulf of Mexico in a fairly recent hurricane ? I saw pictures on the news and that looked really grim. Didn't everybody leave ? I would have.
You mean Harvey in 2018? It was devastating to many. It was all areas that had never flooded so people rebuilt. We did fine in our neighborhood. We get direct hits from hurricanes about as often as we get snow...every 10-20 years. Thank God.

Last edited:
Advantages of living in a city.
Lots of shops and businesses to use when required. Most homes are within 5km of shopping centres, supermarkets, medical care, mechanics, etc. Better TV reception and internet services.

Disadvantages of living in a city.
Lots of people and polluted air due to the cars every lazy azz uses. There is crime and it's either home burglaries during the day or teenagers wandering the streets at night looking for something to do. Lots of noise from people being noisy people.

-------------------------
Living in a rural/ remote area.
Generally the air is cleaner and there are more animals, birds, plants and other natural things to look at. However, air quality can be compromised by scumbags driving diesel 4wds or riding unlicensed motorbikes all over the place. Air quality is also made worse by every halfwit using wood fires.

Morons burn the bush all the time and the air is full of smoke.
Idiots cut down trees and clear bushland all the time. They also spray huge amounts of herbicide everywhere and what they don't use, they dump in rivers and kill everything in it.

You don't get good television reception, mobile phone signal or internet.
You are miles from the nearest shopping centre or medical facility and if you have an accident, you are more likely to die in the country than in the city, purely due to lack of medical resources.
If you need a mechanic to fix your car, it's a mobile mechanic or do it yourself.

There are lots of animals that make noises during the day and night and it's harder to get that resolved in the country.
eg: I have spent the last 3 years trying to get the council to do something about the neighbours dog, which barks all day. They have only just (in the last week) managed to confirm the dog does bark whenever the owners are out, and are now implementing a strategy to deal with the problem.
Same council refuses to enforce a cat curfew so every night I put up with dozens of neighbours cats and feral cats have pissy hissy fights in my backyard, and spraying urine all over the place.

Same stupid council keeps burning the bush and spraying carcinogenic herbicide all over the footpaths and native plants in the area. The morons sprayed several hundred native orchids 2 weeks ago, they claimed it was grass. Like grass has hot pink flowers and a single furry leaf. A few months before that they sprayed a few hundred native plants. Last year they sprayed several thousand native plants and burnt 500+ native orchids. The year before that they wiped out 2 entire colonies of native orchids along with cutting down hundreds of mature trees and that caused the red tail black cockatoos to leave the area. The black cockatoos are endangered and rely on the mature trees for food and breeding sites.

The doctors around here are incompetent halfwits who can't get a job in the city. The nearest hospital is a 30 minute drive away.

I didn't have the internet for the first 6 months I lived here. I have no mobile phone signal. My TV signal is crap and I can watch TV sometimes but most of the time it's turned off because I don't have a signal.

There is so much dust blowing around here I have to wipe it off my car (around the doors) whenever I want to use it. I then get in the car and park it on the lawn and hose it off just so I can see out the windows. Then I can drive into town which is 30 minutes away. The dust covers the car in a week. You lot deal with snow, I deal with dust.

I figured living near the beach would give me a chance to go collecting and set up a marine tank. No chance. The locals take bucket loads of undersized fish and crabs and pump huge amounts of crap into the water. There is nothing here because it's all dead or been eaten.

It's too dangerous to walk along the beaches because of idiot 4wd owners that think the beach is their exclusive playground and they aim their vehicles at people walking along the beach and drive towards you. The council refuses to do anything about that.

Quite frankly, I am thinking about moving back to the city because it has a lot more pluses than this crappy country town I am currently in.

Just keep your eyes open, don't talk to strangers, know your way around, don't get lost, don't get off your bike or out of your car.

Do all these things and you'll be fine! Believe me! I live near in a city, and I am regularly in big cities. Its simple. Don't trust anyone and you won't get mugged

When I worked in the city, I had to keep change for the homeless begging at every corner. They’re everywhere! If they have a dog then they get more money. Amazingly, the dogs are always well cared for.

Big city living
I live in a suburb of a big city...within 10 miles

I have 3 internet providers to choose from.. competition keeps prices low... I pay $30 a month for high speed internet

we have dozens of restaurants in my suburbian town.

Shopping: within 5 miles, we have over 100 stores

Car repair: there are several shops within a few miles

Hospitals: many top notch hospital within 10 miles

Universities: many top colleges within 10 miles

Car dealerships: many car dealers within 5 miles

Home services: many contractors to choose from ... landscapers, plumbers, carpenters, painter

TV reception using an antenna: I get 40 stations to choose from.

Fish stores: 4 stores within 5 miles

movie theaters : 4 theaters within 5 miles

hiking trails close by

Beaches about 10 miles away... river close by

Scenic mountains about two hours away

Last edited:
NO! No big city for me. To much traffic, to many bad guys, etc.

For me, it’s the outdoors. Always has been, and always will be. (God willing!!) :)

27403960-FFD7-45D1-B9BA-66CAC9FBA1E0.jpeg

Advantages of living in a city.
Lots of shops and businesses to use when required. Most homes are within 5km of shopping centres, supermarkets, medical care, mechanics, etc. Better TV reception and internet services.

Disadvantages of living in a city.
Lots of people and polluted air due to the cars every lazy azz uses. There is crime and it's either home burglaries during the day or teenagers wandering the streets at night looking for something to do. Lots of noise from people being noisy people.

-------------------------
Living in a rural/ remote area.
Generally the air is cleaner and there are more animals, birds, plants and other natural things to look at. However, air quality can be compromised by scumbags driving diesel 4wds or riding unlicensed motorbikes all over the place. Air quality is also made worse by every halfwit using wood fires.

Morons burn the bush all the time and the air is full of smoke.
Idiots cut down trees and clear bushland all the time. They also spray huge amounts of herbicide everywhere and what they don't use, they dump in rivers and kill everything in it.

You don't get good television reception, mobile phone signal or internet.
You are miles from the nearest shopping centre or medical facility and if you have an accident, you are more likely to die in the country than in the city, purely due to lack of medical resources.
If you need a mechanic to fix your car, it's a mobile mechanic or do it yourself.

There are lots of animals that make noises during the day and night and it's harder to get that resolved in the country.
eg: I have spent the last 3 years trying to get the council to do something about the neighbours dog, which barks all day. They have only just (in the last week) managed to confirm the dog does bark whenever the owners are out, and are now implementing a strategy to deal with the problem.
Same council refuses to enforce a cat curfew so every night I put up with dozens of neighbours cats and feral cats have pissy hissy fights in my backyard, and spraying urine all over the place.

Same stupid council keeps burning the bush and spraying carcinogenic herbicide all over the footpaths and native plants in the area. The morons sprayed several hundred native orchids 2 weeks ago, they claimed it was grass. Like grass has hot pink flowers and a single furry leaf. A few months before that they sprayed a few hundred native plants. Last year they sprayed several thousand native plants and burnt 500+ native orchids. The year before that they wiped out 2 entire colonies of native orchids along with cutting down hundreds of mature trees and that caused the red tail black cockatoos to leave the area. The black cockatoos are endangered and rely on the mature trees for food and breeding sites.

The doctors around here are incompetent halfwits who can't get a job in the city. The nearest hospital is a 30 minute drive away.

I didn't have the internet for the first 6 months I lived here. I have no mobile phone signal. My TV signal is crap and I can watch TV sometimes but most of the time it's turned off because I don't have a signal.

There is so much dust blowing around here I have to wipe it off my car (around the doors) whenever I want to use it. I then get in the car and park it on the lawn and hose it off just so I can see out the windows. Then I can drive into town which is 30 minutes away. The dust covers the car in a week. You lot deal with snow, I deal with dust.

I figured living near the beach would give me a chance to go collecting and set up a marine tank. No chance. The locals take bucket loads of undersized fish and crabs and pump huge amounts of crap into the water. There is nothing here because it's all dead or been eaten.

It's too dangerous to walk along the beaches because of idiot 4wd owners that think the beach is their exclusive playground and they aim their vehicles at people walking along the beach and drive towards you. The council refuses to do anything about that.

Quite frankly, I am thinking about moving back to the city because it has a lot more pluses than this crappy country town I am currently in.
Colin, you described just about anywhere in Montana perfectly, except for the beaches, so we can substitute riverfront or lakes for that. The one constant in the universe is corrupt politicians and their mindless minions. I wouldn't live in a BIG city for all the tea in China. Too scary, too dangerous. I can be in the mountainous wilderness in less than an hour and in under an hour from that I can be where I won't see people at all for days.

I need people. Not all of the time but I like to know I can go 5 minutes down the street to Walmart and be around people. We live in the suburbs, actually a city out of Houston. Hospital 5 minutes away, downtown Houston only 30 minutes away with the Texas Medical Center right there. Spent all day today cheering my grand daughters on at local small town softball games. I can be in Galveston in 40 minutes to enjoy the beach, 20 minutes to Clear Lake for boating and can be in the Hill Country in 3 hours. Our crime rate in the suburbs is very low. A house fire is a big deal. During Hurricane Harvey, neighbors got out and helped neighbors in need. People we’ve never met before donated boats, clothing, food, money. It made us realize just how small we really are. I guess we all live in our own piece if paradise...whatever we choose for it to be.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back