Bichirs As Tang Tank Mates?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jordan-botha

Reaction score
Hi all!!
This is my first post on this site and I like what I see so far. So I was just wondering if birchirs would go with the my stocking list. My stocking list is 10x cyphotilapia gibberosa, 3x altolamprologus comps muzi gold head, 3x lepidiolamprologus nkambae. The tank is approx 200 gallons with white sand and good filtration. Has a tight fitting lid, fish will get fed once a day at night with sinking cichlid pellets. Will birchirs go well with that stocking list and will I need to change anything with my tank setup and feed the birchirs differrenf food? What birchir variants can you reccommend? Dont want anything too big to eat anything else kr cause trouble! :)
Thanks in advance!
Jordan.

Tangs would be too aggressive for bichirs, I'm afraid.

It might work in your large tank but a couple things to consider would be that birchirs, while not picky, prefer a lower pH than the tangs. I would not recommend keeping them together but if you are dead set on giving it a try, I would add them while the others are still small, but still big enough to not be swallowed by the birchir. If it (they) is added to a community of larger fish with territories established, it (they) may not fare so well.

Thanks for the info and advice, I've done more research on this topic and i have come to the conclusion that birchirs would not go so well with tangs, water parameters included in that decision, I have now decided to not keep birchirs at all but instead set up 2 more frontosa tanks LOL, thanks for the advice though.
Jordan.

Most reactions

Back