FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ameliagb

Reaction score
hi all! so as you know ive got 2 senegal bichirs, my grey one is growing like crazy and is honestly quite the bully during feeding time. ever since i changed the tank layout though my albino has been very active and exploratory and growing nicely albeit slowly. I noticed this week while watching him swim though one of his big front fins is small and a little shredded nemo style. i see the larger one nip him sometimes but never on the fins just near the neck when theyre eating and never doing damage more like when a dog tells his dog buddy to back up with a little nip. ANYWAY

he swims perfectly fine eats tons and seems very happy in all his plants but i was curious if his fin will grow back ? he manages impressively with his gimpy fin but hes not as graceful a swimmer as the grey one i know albinos dont do well in the wild like ever but he should get big and strong and possibly grow his fin back in a tank right ?
hes definitely getting enough food and all that i feed them separate but the grey bichir is just mean about his space lol

more info: my albino bichir (half apps) always looked low key sickly and was not super active and literally hadnt grown a bit since i got him like monthsss ago so i havent really noticed if his fins always been like that but since the tank change a few weeks ago (adding way more plants and caves and branches) and messing with feeding time theres been noticeable growth and appetite change he comes out around feeding time every morning already searching for breakfast and looks wayyy better and really digs into a whole pile of worms like a lil fatty lol hes not as tough an thick as the gray guy (flammeado) but it looks like hes maybe catching up so i remain hopeful abt his fins :)

If a fish's fin/s have been damaged they will normally grow back without any issues. However, you need to monitor the fins and make sure fungal or bacterial infections don't develop on the damaged fin. Healthy fish in a clean tank usually have no problems but old fish or fish kept in dirty tanks with lack of water changes, lots of gunk in the substrate, or a dirty filter, will be more likely to develop infections on the damaged areas.

Fungal infections appear as white fluffy bits on the damaged areas.

Bacterial infections appear as red areas around the edge of the fin and red lines will usually appear in the fin.

thankyou! hes been doing better every day i just wasnt sure if fins grew back thats great !

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back