BFF fish missing one another?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kelsey_lauren

Reaction score
So I have just separated one of my fish (named Rainbow, hope this helps distinguishing them) because I think she has Ich and I want to make sure it doesn't spread around the tank. I observed her scratching herself on the gravel as well.

Rainbow became instant friends with Jack (short for Jack-o-lantern lol). They would swim together and have a great time. So, since I just separated them, I swear Jack is missing Rainbow. I know it sounds kind of stupid, but Jack and Rainbow will look at each other from separate tanks.

My point in mentioning their friendship is that I just saw Jack try and scratch himself just like Rainbow did! Jack hadn't ever done that before! Directly after that, one of my tetras did it too! I'm a little freaked out ahaha, that is some odd behavior.

I am a little worried that it was too much stress on the fish, but I want to make sure that Rainbow gets treated. I think she's pregnant too.

Let me know your thoughts and if you know anything about Ich and the scratching!!

I think she has Ich and I want to make sure it doesn't spread around the tank

Put Rainbow back in with Jack you will have to treat the whole tank. What kind of fish are they?

Put Rainbow back in with Jack you will have to treat the whole tank. What kind of fish are they?

Yeah, to be honest I think I acted too quickly so I'll put her back in tomorrow. I have 2 tetras, 1 sunburst platy (Rainbow), and 1 sunburst wag platy (Jack).

Hi

Here's what you need to do.
Increase temperature to 30°C/86°F. With tropical fish, an increase in temperature to 30°C/86°F is usually very well-tolerated. Since this temperature prevents reproduction of Ich, it can theoretically cure the problem by itself. So the first step would be to increase the temperature slowly, 1°C/2°F per hour until the correct temperature is reached. This temperature should be maintained for 10 days, and then slowly returned to normal. Some fish can tolerate higher temperatures. If your fish are more heat tolerant, try increasing the temperature to 32°C/89.5°F for the first 3-4 days to kill the Ich. Then reduce temperature slowly to 30°C/86°F, and hold it there for an additional 6-7 days, or until a total of 10 days have passed. Gauge the heat tolerance of your fish by observing their reaction.

Increase aeration. Increased temperature leads to increased metabolism, which enhances the fish’s immune response but also increases oxygen demand. Oxygen is lower in warmer water, so it is very important to increase surface agitation during the treatment to increase oxygenation. In planted tanks with CO2 injection, the CO2 should be turned off and extra aeration should be provided. Carefully observe your fish, watching for signs that they are not getting enough oxygen. If fish are gasping at the surface, you need to provide more aeration. Aeration can be increased by reducing the water level so the filter return makes more of a waterfall and splash, and/or use an airstone placed close to the surface of the water.

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

I have used the above method and it works, you should see results in 12 to 18 hours.

Thank you for your help. My fish are currently getting way better, no signs of Ich anymore. I used medication and raising the heat, along with a tiny bit of aquarium salt. This all seems to be doing pretty well, I'm going to wait a little longer to transfer them into their new tank, so I know the Ich is not coming back.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back