Betty fin rot or fin nipping ?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Dmad20

Reaction score
Hello. I have been noticing that my beta fish fin has been looking a little rugged lately. Iā€™m not quite sure if it could be mild fin rot, tear, or nipping.
Water conditions are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 15 nitrate
If itā€™s fin rot, how could I help prevent it from getting worse & can it spread to other fishes ? I have 2 mollies and a small dwarf pleco that share the tank with my beta.
Please help!

Attachments

• 2FE52AE6-3968-4583-944D-4DB5F4803264.jpeg
    2FE52AE6-3968-4583-944D-4DB5F4803264.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 156038B1-DE94-487C-BF91-FD4D1EEB6315.jpeg
    156038B1-DE94-487C-BF91-FD4D1EEB6315.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 87
Everyone itā€™s going to recommend aquarium salt. I mean I am going to as well lol. Especially if you arenā€™t certain that itā€™s fin rot. You could also raise the heat in your tank to kill off any type of infection in the tank. I would also recommend isolating that betta just in case it is fin rot. You can then give him a salt bath but that might be alittle much if you arenā€™t certain. I would also really stress separating the betta, only because if it is fin rot it is going to spread to all the other fish. Then itā€™s a bigger problem. If instead you separate the infected fish early and keep and eye on it, youā€™ll only have to treat the one fish. Instead of treating the whole tank.

You should isolate as you can't use Aquarium salt with a Pleco in the tank. And the betta would do better in a tank alone.

What a lovely fish! I'm trying to find one like it.
I joined the forum a few weeks ago and everyone says that bettas like being on their own which I wanted desperately to not believe because I already had mine in a tank with 2 African Dwarf Frogs. My betta (Jarvis) started having fin problems so I removed the ADFs and his behaviour chilled so noticeably that I am now also a zealot for keeping them alone. He used to glass surf all the time (probably wanting to get away) and now he's chilled.
I was also too quick to treat with fin-rot medication, I think, and wish I had just done what the people in this thread have suggested.

You could also raise the heat in your tank to kill off any type of infection in the tank.
This should be undertaken with caution, since raising the temperature can cause stress to the fish, which would exacerbate the risk of disease.

I have 2 mollies and a small dwarf pleco that share the tank with my beta.
I havenā€™t had mollies, but I donā€™t think theyā€™re usually recommended to be kept with bettas. Itā€™s my guess that they might be the nippers.

Another forum member is in a similar situation atm, so it might be helpful for you to read this thread, which has some more info (in addition to the great advice here).

Most reactions

trending

Back