Better way to clean sand?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Rosenbaumn

Reaction score
I recently switched my 29 gal long to black sand (imagitarium) and Iā€™ve been cleaning it with a regular siphone, but itā€™s pretty inefficient. The siphon doesnā€™t pick up all of the debris and it drains water too fast to get it clean, Iā€™ve tried to stop the flow in order to slow the draining, but itā€™s difficult and does not work well. Is there a certain type of vacuum or siphon thatā€™s better for cleaning sand?

I use the flexible tubing and don't have the rigid plastic cylinder on the end. I start the siphon by filling the tubing with tap water at the sink, then carry it to the tank, thumb over each end, then one end in the bucket the other end in the tank then remove my thumbs. I haven't used the wide plastic bit since I changed to sand.

I use the flexible tubing and don't have the rigid plastic cylinder on the end. I start the siphon by filling the tubing with tap water at the sink, then carry it to the tank, thumb over each end, then one end in the bucket the other end in the tank then remove my thumbs. I haven't used the wide plastic bit since I changed to sand.
Iā€™ll definitely try that, how close to the sand do you put the tube?

I hold the end of the tubing 1 cm or half an inch above the sand amd make little swirling motions to lift the stuff off the sand. Yes, I do get some in the bucket but I just wash it and out it back.

I have a 29 gallon tank with white sand and there is never debris on the bottom since I have a group of 10 cories that constantly clean, it pretty much spotless. All I have to do it move around the decoration and siphon the sand there. If you have room, could be a worthy investment to buy a good sized group of them

Last edited:
I have a 29 gallon tank with white sand and there is never debris on the bottom since I have a group of 10 cories that constantly clean, it pretty much spotless. All I have to do it move around the decoration and siphon the sand there. If you have room, could be a worry investment to buy a good sized group of them
I have cories, but I also feed algae wagers which make a mess as well as fish poop, so I need to help them out a little

I hold the end of the tubing 1 cm or half an inch above the sand amd make little swirling motions to lift the stuff off the sand. Yes, I do get some in the bucket but I just wash it and out it back.
What I do for both my tanks one has gravel one has sand, is I put my bucket on a table or chair so that it isnā€™t in the floor. This slows down the flow of it so I have time to really siphon, especially the gravel in my 75 gallon.

I have cories, but I also feed algae wagers which make a mess as well as fish poop, so I need to help them out a little
I used to have tiger barbs and I would use a mixture of flakes and I used to feed shrimp pellets but now I added a bunch that are too small for them so they like to eat the crushed flakes

I used to have tiger barbs and I would use a mixture of flakes and I used to feed shrimp pellets but now I added a bunch that are too small for them so they like to eat the crushed flakes
Iā€™ll probably also give less algae wafers and put in cucumber for my algae eaters instead

Once you've started the syphon, put your thumb over the end of the tube that's in the bucket, this allows you to pause the flow as you move the syphon from one area to another, giving you more control over how fast you're draining the water level :)

Also a very handy trick to know if you ever have shrimp or fry...

If I am not wrong, you can slow down the suction by bending the hose. At some angles, the water will down.
After bending it, you can use a clip, rubber band or something to hold it at that angle.

Anyway, the easiest solution is to use a siphon with smaller hose(smaller diameter) which will definitely slow down the siphoning.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back