Bettas

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am a bit confused. I always thought both Betta's and Gourami's were part of the anabantid family.

Is what distinguishes Goruami's and Betta's from a the anabantids is that they are Perciform fish?

Perciform fish typically have dorsal and anal fins divided into anterior spiny and posterior soft-rayed portions, which may be partially or completely separated. There are usually pelvic fins with one spine and up to five soft rays, either positioned by the throat or under the belly. Scales are usually ctenoid in form, though sometimes they are cycloid or otherwise modified. Various other, more technical characters define the group.

The classifications in these forums already seem to recognized these ase the subforum is called:

Gouramis and Anabantoids

"Am a bit confused. I always thought both Betta's and Gourami's were part of the anabantid family. "
Me too. Maybe D Chia can explain this. Where is Doctor Chia??? :lol:

yeeviabetta said:
"Am a bit confused. I always thought both Betta's and Gourami's were part of the anabantid family. "
Me too. Maybe D Chia can explain this. Where is Doctor Chia??? :lol:
Thanks for the Honorary PHD, Yeeviabetta. I'm no "Doctor". Just a betta enthusiast like all of you guys.

Anyway, the Anabantoids (labyrinth fishes) are divided into the following sub-groups:

1) Anabantidae (e.g. Climbing Perches)
2) Belontiidae (e.g. Dwarf Gouramis, Paradise fish)
3) Helostomatidae (e.g. Kissing Gouramis)
4) Osphronemidae (e.g. Giant Gouramis)

Bettas, like the Dwarf Gouramis and Paradise fish, belong to the Belontiidae sub-group and not the Osphronemidae sub-group of Anabantoids (labyrinth fishes).

Aiya, Doctor Chia so hak hey one. :) You don't have Phd, I give you one. You always got all the answers everytime I am asking that something I don't know. LOL
Climbing Perches!!! i miss those fellas. They are so fun to fish them. so easy!! They are everywhere in Malaysia! are they expensive here? Can you get one here?:) Who got in USA?:) Malaysian called it KAROK! hehehe

Anabas testudineus?
The fish is called climbing perch since it can wander accross land to find new habitats. It has also been reported to climb trees ??? WoW I like this .... climbing fish .... :p

Wou. Did i do something wrong here? Can we all widen up the horizon about the Anabantidae (e.g. Climbing Perches)?

Phantom Thief said:
Excuse me, if you have nothing on-topic to post, here's a tip: don't. You have been reported.

P.T.
heres a tip for you...lighten up.
this isn't general chat where every post is put under the microscope for deviations from accepted protocol yo.
oh, you going to report me too? see if i care.. :lol:

Due to complaints received, I've closed the topic. Please try not to high jack other peoples post - you can always start a new one of your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back