Betta's tail quickly frayed? Strange tearing and hole under a week.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
IMG_5037.JPG IMG_5040.JPG
Here's a few images of him today.

I notice that you have an oddly coloured light on the tank. What is it. This could be causing him stress.

Also does he do this at night once a few hours have passed since the lights go out.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

I notice that you have an oddly coloured light on the tank. What is it. This could be causing him stress.

Also does he do this at night once a few hours have passed since the lights go out.

I have been keeping the lights off since this started happening cause I thought it would stress him out. I only turned on that light to take the photo. (I immediately turned it off again). He's flaring at the moment at the front of the tank and pacing around his plant. I don't know what he does when I turn off the main light (the light to my room). His water is at 76 degrees and I've been keeping the room rather quiet for him.

What size is the tank again.

I think that there is something that is causing him to stress.

Unfortunately, he is in a 2 gallon in the meantime. I have a 5 gallon open for him in December once my baby fancy goldfish (two of them. They are super duper small and adorable) move to a 38 gallon that shall be there at that time. ((and once it's cycled)). I am debating on moving him to my quarantine tank which is 2.5 gallons and trying to set up the filter there.

He could be frustrated with the small space and he is trying to get out.

Probably. I'll move him to a larger tank as soon as possible. I've also observed that he gets stressed when I'm near the tank. :( So, I'm trying to be away from the tank until I have to. (Feeding and water changes.)

Do you not perhaps have a large tub that you can put a filter and heater in for the mean time.

Also if the sides of the container could be non seethrough

I moved him into a highly planted 2.5 gallon for now and I have realized that he has fin rot. One of my friends came over to look at the fish and agreed with me. (She has 4 betta fish in her care, all in 5-10 gallon tanks).

Oh dear. Well keep us posted and let's hope he gets better soon.

Fin rot is the direct result of poor water conditions, to cure it all you need is lots of clean treated warm water.

. I've also observed that he gets stressed when I'm near the tank

Thats unusual for a Betta, normally they are quite friendly with the person that feeds them.

UPDATE: Horus is doing much better! He had another episode of fin rot, which I treated. He has been moved into a planted 3.5 gallon tank which has driftwood and places for him to hide.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back