Bettas fin tear won’t heal and brown spots on fake plants

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

JackieP

Reaction score
Hello, so I have a betta fish and she has a tear on your fin and it’s been weeks and it won’t heal. I saw at the store they have API betta fix and I was wondering if I should try that. I think it’s just tea tree oil. Also, there’s brown spots all over my fake silk plants. Could it be something with my nitrate levels? Should I wash the plants off? Thanks.

Attachments

• 028D35EE-BF8F-4242-ADBA-8281FC64328A.jpeg
    028D35EE-BF8F-4242-ADBA-8281FC64328A.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 153
  • 51AD2F35-76AC-48AB-95A8-275C458BF63D.jpeg
    51AD2F35-76AC-48AB-95A8-275C458BF63D.jpeg
    264.1 KB · Views: 162
I’m pretty sure everything is fine. The brown spots are most likely algae. My betta’s fake plants have brown spots too. When you got her, did she have the tear in her fin?

That “tear” is just a seperate fin. It will never heal. If it does happen to “heal”, that would be a problem. Lol

That “tear” is just a seperate fin. It will never heal. If it does happen to “heal”, that would be a problem. Lol
The tear I’m talking about is actually on the fin in the back. Sorry it’s hard to see it in the picture. You can zoom in and kinda see it I’ll try to take a better picture. I got her about two months ago and her fin was fine so she tore it in my tank about a month after being in it. Then it healed really quickly. Then it tore again and now it won’t heal anymore. I really don’t know what she’s tearing her fin on I have all silk plants maybe it’s my substrate. It’s like river rocks there might be a sharp one maybe I’m not sure what to do about that though. I’ll attach a better picture of the tear. Please let me know any tips to make it heal faster thanks.

Attachments

• 5F5A2799-BC96-43BF-BDEE-B7EE90E9AB4F.jpeg
    5F5A2799-BC96-43BF-BDEE-B7EE90E9AB4F.jpeg
    217.8 KB · Views: 147
The best treatment for split or damaged fins is cleaning the tank.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or two and the problem usually fixes itself.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

If the problem gets worse during that time, add a bit of salt (1-2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of tank water). However, it doesn't look bad and doesn't need salt at this stage.

-----------------------
If you don't like the brown algae on the plants, wipe it off.

The tear I’m talking about is actually on the fin in the back. Sorry it’s hard to see it in the picture. You can zoom in and kinda see it I’ll try to take a better picture. I got her about two months ago and her fin was fine so she tore it in my tank about a month after being in it. Then it healed really quickly. Then it tore again and now it won’t heal anymore. I really don’t know what she’s tearing her fin on I have all silk plants maybe it’s my substrate. It’s like river rocks there might be a sharp one maybe I’m not sure what to do about that though. I’ll attach a better picture of the tear. Please let me know any tips to make it heal faster thanks.
Haha! Im sorry I didnt see that rip. Maybe you can dose her with aquarium salt?

Please don't use any of the -fix medications with bettas or any other labyrinth fish. They contain aromatic oils (tea tree in bettafix) and these can interfere with the labyrinth organ.
Just because something is marked as being suitable does not mean it is suitable.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back