Betta’s clear fins turning pink - is this an infection?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ilex

Reaction score
My betta is in a 10 gallon planted tank, solo. The tank is about two months old, my water parameters are pH 7.8 (it’s been higher but I’m getting it stabilized now) ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0. I’m using RO that I am remineralizing (there was a short period that I was not remineralizing and that may have started this problem, I don’t know). He’s a “black orchid” so his fins were blue with black and white markings, and as they grew they were clear at the ends. About a month ago his fins began taking a pinkish tinge and it has been getting worse, although he has not lost any finnage yet, I do not like the color and have been treating with Kanaplex. I am midway through a second round but there has been no improvement. I keep the tank at 78F, he has a sponge filter and a HOB. There are IAL leaves in the tank as well. I do a 30% WC weekly.

He has been eating live blackworms almost exclusively for at least a month and is fairly active (although I find him resting in the surface plants a lot more often in the past week or so). There are a bunch of escapee blackworms in the gravel now, too.

Is this “fin rot” or something else? is Kanaplex the best treatment or should I be doing something else?

This is how he looked when it started:
1A501A93-9E22-4A3F-91EB-5F686A27835B.jpeg

Now:
B8AD3ECD-2D6C-4958-88E7-A54EFD3A6BC9.jpeg

8411FCAF-85A3-4516-B69D-D7C9B81BFFFB.jpeg

Pulled him out during a water change here he is with a white background:
F25E1FD8-D7FC-44ED-9076-4AA4453C1652.jpeg

Last edited:
I believe its a start to fin rot. If you can get medicine called betta fix it wont hurt to add it to the aquarium. I used to have betta fish and some unfortunately had same issue as yours. Betta fix helped. Wierd you have plants usually that helps in situation with fin rots.... how long you had your fish?

Could he just be changing colour as he matures. Those fins look healthy to me.

I agree with seangee. The fins are healthy, just changing colour.

I’ve had him since October 20, so only two months, and doing a fish-in cycle. The red color just does not seem like a healthy thing, more like an inflammation to me. They have not died back yet, true.

Would a diet of blackworms affect his fin coloration? *They* look a little reddish. You know, like when flamingos eat brine shrimp that turn their feathers pink.

When I got him he looked like this

9B4CEBB6-463B-49CA-9820-E60E2A51D452.jpeg

Most reactions

trending

Back