Bettas And Vitamin C

jfeld

Reaction score
Is it true that bettas need sunlight, or else will become deficient in vitamin c? There isn't a lot of natural light where I live (Ohio, USA) in the winter... is there another way to deal with this?

Uhmm, as far as I know, you don't get vitamin C from sunlight, but rather through ingesting citrus fruits... vitamin D is what humans produce via contact with sunlight.

I'm not sure if bettas produce vitamin D or if they even need it. Bettas don't need to be in sunlight, but I wouldn't keep a fish in complete darkness either. ;)

Vitamin D

i don't know about other bettas, but I do believe that most CT breeders in thailand and such will sunbathe their fish because it helps prevent curling of the fins. I don't know the science behind that though, it may just be folk lore.

In anycase, your fish don't NEED to have sunlight, though they do need some form of light, which presumably they are getting from a tank or room light anyway. Also sunlight aids in the growth of algae much more than artifical light, not to mention that a fish in a small tank in the sun can easily overheat.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back