Bettas And Platies

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

InaneCathode

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Do you think a betta would be alright with a few platys kickin around his tank?
I've got a 10 gallon with a betta, two cory cats (about an inch a piece) and two bamboo shrimp (cleanup crew).
I've got 4 platies (all under two inches long) in a 10 gallon with my girlfriends fancy tail goldfish (about 2 inches a piece, better to have them in a 10 gallon than in a block of ice come january). I feel they would be happier in clearer water and more objects to hide in (goldfish tank is murky with the dust the goldfish are constantly kicking up, i cant really keep any plants or decorations in there as they root them up with in a day :))
Do you think platies would be ok with a betta?

My first betta, before knowing any better, was put in a community tank. Needless to say, he killed everything - except for the platy. The two of them were best of pals, despite the fact the platy was bright orange and could've been mistaken for another betta due to the colouring.

It's more trial an error than a definite answer, but thought I'd share that bit of information with you. Different betta's have different personalities. Some will mix, some wont.

All bettas are different, i have a male that lives very happily with a blue platy, i tried removing him once and the betta moped for days so now he's back. Yet i have another betta they kills any thing you put in with him. If you do decide on it than have a back up plan just in case things go wrong. Most LFS will take fish back if you have issues with fighting.

I have a betta in a community tank with 4 platys, a few neons and some rasboras and they all get along just fine :)

Iain

All depends on the bettas personal personality. You could try it but be prepared to remove him and place him in his own little tank.

Wow cool, thanks for the advice guys (and girls i assume). I'll try the platies in the betta tank for a couple days and see what he does with them. I'm more worried about the platies harassing the betta, he's kinda a chicken.

i put my little sisters betta in my community tank with platy and guppy and the betta loves them :rolleyes: he gets really sad when he has to go back to his own tank...... i asked her if i could keep the fish......she said no (arg) :no: .......wierd thing is her betta loves being pet! :shifty: so yeah you can try it hope for the best!
good luck :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back