Betta

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Tl52505

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a topfin oasis tank for a betta and maybe a couple shrimp, I have never kept a betta and am just looking for a small tank for my desk, would this tank work, idk if they need anything specific but what I found on the internet was anything above 2.5 gallons was recommended

How many litres/ gallons does the TopFin Oasis tank hold?
You want a tank that holds 20-40 litres (5-10 gallons). 5 gallons minimum, 10 gallons is great.

Have an air operated sponge or undergravel filter in the tank. Some floating plants like Water Sprite, a heater and a light.

double the 2.5-gallon minimum, please!! you won't regret it.
read this for a mind changer.

I think 2.5G is too small. Go for at least 5G. A 10G is ideal really. Also, easier to stay on top of water quality with a larger tank.

is 15g too big even if its shallow?
yeah everything is so much easier with a bigger tank

I would only keep a bettas in a 5g if I absolutely had to... 10g is best but a betta will survive in a 5g maybe not thrive.

I had a Betta in a 17 gallon a few years ago and tbh it struggled. He had to make alot of effort to get anywhere, even with several rest stops here and there that I had added. So I dropped the water down to 10 gallons and he seemed to cope with that a little easier and lived to a decent age and, for once, no tail biting or other stress symptoms. The big finned/tailed can handle large volumes of water when juveniles but as they get older that finnage & tail can disable them somewhat, which is where you come across biting to offload the excess weight to allow greater and easier movement, so a larger volume of water might become detrimental as the fish ages.

Now maybe in a week or two I might be adopting a neighbour's Betta due to their ill health. I have not actually seen the fish but I do know what he is living in, a Ciano Aqua 30 Semi-Hex...6.6 gallons. The fish is approaching 3 years old and has lived in the aquarium since juvenile. Yes the aquarium seems on the small side but I need to remember that this is an older fish, at this stage I have no idea whether the fish is long or short finned. If this adoption does take place (the owner is awaiting a vacancy in a hospice and wants to take the fish with them...that may or may not be allowed or practical) then I shall make a decision regarding the aquarium in use and perhaps adapt it as appropriate for that fish.

As I said in another thread, the Betta is unique in that there are so many variations and the long finned/tailed variants really need a different environment to the shorter finned/tailed variants and as such their living accommodation needs to be adapted accordingly.

I think for a betta, the goal is to get as large a tank as possible as long as it is shallow water. They don't like to swim up too high to get air. But the further they can swim horizontally the better.

I think for a betta, the goal is to get as large a tank as possible as long as it is shallow water. They don't like to swim up too high to get air. But the further they can swim horizontally the better.
I disagree with the shallow water thing. usually betta fish are upper dwellers, and with the right decor (my bettas at least) tend to thrive. :)
Just my outlook.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back