Betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aspen35

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well...I just found out someone I know has been removing the fish from the tank and draining 100% of the water with every water change. YIKES. The tank they had was leaking, so I guess they just got a new one. Is there anyone who can write out a little guide on how to get that tank started and cycled, with the fish (apparently still alive after a year, poor guy) in the tank? Then maybe some directions on how to properly clean the tank? I don’t know much about betta fish, so I want to ensure I‘m giving the right advice.

That has all the info you need for cycling, I'm new to keeping fish so I'm not 100% on water changes. Someone here will know for sure!

They will have to do a “fish in” cycle. Unless... are they using the same filter from the other tank? If the media stayed wet then they should get a cycle in a few days. After that, 50 -70% water change once a week.

Well...I just found out someone I know has been removing the fish from the tank and draining 100% of the water with every water change. YIKES. The tank they had was leaking, so I guess they just got a new one. Is there anyone who can write out a little guide on how to get that tank started and cycled, with the fish (apparently still alive after a year, poor guy) in the tank? Then maybe some directions on how to properly clean the tank? I don’t know much about betta fish, so I want to ensure I‘m giving the right advice.
I would follow this advice: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

Maybe @essjay can give you a watered-down explanation. :)

Bettas are the same as every other fish when it comes to cycling and cleaning a tank.
But it does depend on tank size. How big was the old tank and how big is the new one? I've seen 4 inch cubes sold as betta tanks and with that size, 100% water changes are necessary and the fish has to be taken out of the tank cup.

As the others have said, if the old tank had a filter and that is used on the new tank, it won't need to be cycled. But if there is no filter or it's a brand new one, it will have to be a fish-in cycle. This involves testing the water every day for ammonia and nitrite and doing a water change when either show above zero.

Most reactions

Back