Betta Won'T Stop Flaring

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Theplayboy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I don't know if i should be worried or not but one of my new bettas wont stop flaring EVERYTIME anyone goes near his tank (60l all to himself). Sometimes he will just sit and flare constantly even if noone is near his tank. Ive had him for about a week and a half. His flaring at me in the shop was what made me want him. But now its starting to worry me that the constant flaring is going to make him exhausted. He is still eating ok.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks

Chris

Are there any mirrors in the room, especially near the tank? Can he see his own reflection in the glass? (this might happen is the lighting is at just the wrong angles)

Nope no mirrors. Not sure if he can see his reflection in the glass, how would i be able tell?

Nope no mirrors. Not sure if he can see his reflection in the glass, how would i be able tell?

Look from the front of the tank at a 45 degree angle or so at the side of the tank, if you see a reflection he likely does as well

Ok yea I do see a reflection. This could definitely been the problem. Any ideas on how to stop this?

Ok yea I do see a reflection. This could definitely been the problem. Any ideas on how to stop this?
You could black out the sides of the tank.

Yea i've got enough black left as well.

Cheers mum! x
Actually, that would do the opposite of what you want: think about it, can you see your reflection better in the window (when you are inside, with the light on) when it is bright or dark outside? When it is dark. So the simple solution would be to 1) make the room brighter, 2) make the tank darker and/or 3) plant plants along (at least) the back, and maybe even the sides.

You could black out the sides of the tank.

Yea i've got enough black left as well.

Cheers mum! x
Actually, that would do the opposite of what you want: think about it, can you see your reflection better in the window (when you are inside, with the light on) when it is bright or dark outside? When it is dark. So the simple solution would be to 1) make the room brighter, 2) make the tank darker and/or 3) plant plants along (at least) the back, and maybe even the sides.

Yes,what Kitty Kat says makes sense, especially where the tank is placed, how about whiting out the sides.

Just thought id show you where his tank is placed to see if this helps with suggestions on how to calm him down

IMG_26980.jpg

Here he is. But funnily enough he stopped flaring everytime the camera was close enough to get a picture.
IMG_26900.jpg

He is a pretty boy! Hmm.. only thing I can suggest is maybe add a "cave" and some more plants.. maybe some bogwood too (so that he doesn't always see four of himself from all sides.. maybe even some tankmates to keep him distracted?

Hes already got a cave but i think im going to just have to seriously plant it out.

Mum im going to steal some of your twisted vail when its grown abit.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back