BETTA WONT MOVE

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

kateh

Reaction score
Hi all, so recently Iā€™ve noticed my beta fish has been moving around less and less, and overall seemed sluggish and his fins were starting to lose their vibrancy and get smaller. Today I got home and found him on the floor of the aquarium just lying there and occasionally flopping around. He is about 3 or 4 so Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s just old age, because it has been fairly gradual, but is there anything I can do to help, or am I doing something wrong? Thank you! And please keep in mind, this is my first fish, and Iā€™ve done my best but Iā€™m far from great

Attachments

• 72A3CDFF-904C-4701-ABC8-357AAD6FC8F2.jpeg
    72A3CDFF-904C-4701-ABC8-357AAD6FC8F2.jpeg
    364.9 KB · Views: 36
  • ACBDB04B-3F84-45E4-91AE-FB0B24D23493.jpeg
    ACBDB04B-3F84-45E4-91AE-FB0B24D23493.jpeg
    345.5 KB · Views: 39
Hi all, so recently Iā€™ve noticed my beta fish has been moving around less and less, and overall seemed sluggish and his fins were starting to lose their vibrancy and get smaller. Today I got home and found him on the floor of the aquarium just lying there and occasionally flopping around. He is about 3 or 4 so Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s just old age, because it has been fairly gradual, but is there anything I can do to help, or am I doing something wrong? Thank you! And please keep in mind, this is my first fish, and Iā€™ve done my best but Iā€™m far from great
does he look bloated? how are his scales? anything visually seem wrong besides his fins? it could be old age or fin rot.

Possibly old age.

Is he eating well?
How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?

You can try doing a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Increase the temperature a couple of degrees so it's a little warmer. See if it helps.

Try feeding more often and feed lots of variety including dry, frozen and live foods. This might help build up his immune system and make him feel better.

does he look bloated? how are his scales? anything visually seem wrong besides his fins? it could be old age or fin rot.
So I just looked, and his scales donā€™t seem as vibrant as they used to, more of a dull color, but nothing too unusual, and he doesnā€™t seem bloated, and now he is lying on the floor of the tank and is just breathing, is there anything I can do, or is it too late? Thank you

Possibly old age.

Is he eating well?
How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?

You can try doing a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Increase the temperature a couple of degrees so it's a little warmer. See if it helps.

Try feeding more often and feed lots of variety including dry, frozen and live foods. This might help build up his immune system and make him feel better.
When I feed him he usually swims around and catches the food, but more recently he hasnā€™t so I have been feeding him less, since I was worried about ammonia. I really donā€™t preform water changes very often, though if Iā€™m being I really only do it once a month or so, and only around 45% and clean up any algae, should I be doing it more often? He is currently on the floor on his side, and barely breathing, is it too late?

You should be changing some of the water regularly. I recommend doing a 75% water change and gravel cleaning the substrate every week. If you don't feed that often then do it every 2 weeks. But it should be done at least 2 times each month.

You can feed him regularly, just remove any uneaten food after he has eaten his fill.

------------------
Is there a filter in/ on the tank?
If yes, what type and how often and how do you clean it?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back