Betta with white stripes?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Finn1231

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Izzy has been going up and down recently. She had black spots the other day and today she had white stripes. They appeared then disappeared a little but her fins are still slightly white. They look a little like breeding stripes but she is three years old so i would think she is past that age. Black spots are mostly gone but does anyone know why she keeps changing colors?

Attachments

• 49F108AB-0334-4E3F-AB13-B51ACE1F1A6F.jpeg
    49F108AB-0334-4E3F-AB13-B51ACE1F1A6F.jpeg
    173.2 KB · Views: 41
  • FC8100D9-E9DB-4BDB-9962-723D1C6F0539.jpeg
    FC8100D9-E9DB-4BDB-9962-723D1C6F0539.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 38
Izzy has been going up and down recently. She had black spots the other day and today she had white stripes. They appeared then disappeared a little but her fins are still slightly white. They look a little like breeding stripes but she is three years old so i would think she is past that age. Black spots are mostly gone but does anyone know why she keeps changing colors?
What do you mean by going up & down? Swimming or changing colors? Do bettas get stripes & otherwise change coloration during breeding season? I have one male, maybe a year old & he always looks the same.

What do you mean by going up & down? Swimming or changing colors? Do bettas get stripes & otherwise change coloration during breeding season? I have one male, maybe a year old & he always looks the same.
Her colors have been changing constantly is what I meant. Sometimes female bettas get breeding stripes but izzy seemed too old to be breeding. It worries me mostly because she had big spots on her the other day and today she has white stripes that look like breeding stripes. Im nervous she is losing color and could be sick.

It looks like it’s bloated and has cramped fins. What are you water parameters? How often do you do water changes? Do you have a filter?

It looks like it’s bloated and has cramped fins. What are you water parameters? How often do you do water changes? Do you have a filter?
Shes not bloated, just an eggy female and has looked like that her whole life. Her fins are usually more spread out, i caught her mid-swim but her fins arent very long in the first place. I do water changes every few weeks to monthly, or if the ammonia is over 0. I have a sponge filter.

Have you got a lot of floating plants? I think what she is trying to do is blend in with the background, she may feel exposed and so is trying to make herself less obvious. Three years isn't too old for Bettas to breed if they are in good condition

Shes not bloated, just an eggy female and has looked like that her whole life. Her fins are usually more spread out, i caught her mid-swim but her fins arent very long in the first place. I do water changes every few weeks to monthly, or if the ammonia is over 0. I have a sponge filter.
You should be doing weekly water changes. (At least 10% every week)

It’s perfectly normal for Bettas (especially Plakat like yours and mine) to change colors, even if they aren’t breeding, for example, my betta’s body used to be all blue, and now it’s almost all red with a few blue spots.

Have you got a lot of floating plants? I think what she is trying to do is blend in with the background, she may feel exposed and so is trying to make herself less obvious. Three years isn't too old for Bettas to breed if they are in good condition
They’re chameleon like? Wow! Incredible. Mine stays purple & has lots of green plants.

Yes! He enjoys leisurely laps around the tank and playing hide and seek with the snails.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back