Betta with white spot -- looking for advice...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

floogledfish

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a question regarding my 2(ish) year old betta. Although he is acting entirely normal, energetic, and with a regular (nice) appetite, my betta has had a persistent white spot next to his mouth. (Video linked below.) It has not gotten worse or better, just remained the same. It really doesn't seem to effect him at all, but it sure worries me.

There was a stretch of time (this is when I rescued him) his previous owner had him in a tiny tank with very poor water quality. He is now (and has been for over a year) in a nice 5 gallon tank that is always crystal clear. It gets 25% water changes once a month or so. The water I use is treated. It was properly cycled before introducing him.

At first I suspected mouth fungus, and used API Bettafix for a full round. No change. Used as instructed.

So, then I waited a few weeks, staying completely on top of water quality and temp (76F).. still no change (worse or better.) At that point I tried methylene blue dips, once per day, 50ppm methylene blue in a seperate container. 10 second dips. I did that for about a week and noticed no change. I'm a little uncomfortable continuing with any treatment until I reach out to the community here for advice.

Here is a video, at the end you can see the spot pretty well.

I can try and get better pictures; whatever you guys need to help give me some advice.I'm totally open to criticism, don't worry about hurting my feelings. Just want to make sure this dude can live his best life.

It's most likely a small injury from bumping into stuff or rubbing against stuff.
Stop treating it, there is nothing wrong.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. Then do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate once a week. Bigger water changes are better than small ones. Weekly water changes are much better than monthly.

--------------------
There is too much water movement in the tank. If you can adjust the filter, try to reduce the flow a small amount or reposition the filter outlet so the fish isn't constantly swimming to maintain position in the water.

What are you water parameters? Also you should do weekly water changes

Hi,

He looks pretty sturdy.
His fins look good.
Water dieties smile upon those who provide 5g + for bettas. Bravo!
Congratulations on having an older betta; you've obviously been doing something right!

If he got startled or was trying to avoid something...perhaps during tank maintenance, there is a chance he ran in haste into an edge of your tank decor.
Or part of the aquarium equipment.

Honestly, nothing against skulls, we all have them, but the one in your tank looks sharp.

Finally, any chance his food sinks quickly?
Your beautiful rocks may be hindering his ability to retrieve food. The spaces are large and if he gas to go for food there he may be continuing to exacerbate something that was not that bad to begin with.

I'm new on the Forum and I just posted a question about the bettafix product, can't honestly say about that. I'm not familiar with the other method you're using but I must agree with the poster that said to stop treating. Stress all around!

I'm sorry I don't have any advice, just thought I'd offer some encouragement. It can help when one worries over their baby.

Sincerely,

~Vana

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back