Betta with weird spots on his head

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

When a fish has dropsy it is usually too late. Dropsy is not an illness itself but a symptom of another disease. Dropsy occurs when the underlying disease has caused kidney failure; the kidneys no longer work and the body swells up with retained fluid. Once the fish reaches this state there is usually nothing that can be done, I'm afraid.

If he has also stopped eating it is not a good sign. I'm afraid you have a difficult choice - do nothing and wait until he passes, or euthanasia. Take some time to think it over and if you decide on euthanasia, we can tell you the way to do that.

When a fish has dropsy it is usually too late. Dropsy is not an illness itself but a symptom of another disease. Dropsy occurs when the underlying disease has caused kidney failure; the kidneys no longer work and the body swells up with retained fluid. Once the fish reaches this state there is usually nothing that can be done, I'm afraid.

If he has also stopped eating it is not a good sign. I'm afraid you have a difficult choice - do nothing and wait until he passes, or euthanasia. Take some time to think it over and if you decide on euthanasia, we can tell you the way to do that.
Thanks for your response. He seems a lot more bloated on one side than the other but has not pineconed yet. I wish I could’ve worked out what was wrong with him. I don’t want him to suffer, but I think I’ll wait until the morning and see then to make a decision. He is still swimming round a bit right now. I assume clove oil is the preferred way to euthanise?

He has passed away. I couldn’t get any clove oil in time when he started struggling as he went from swimming to upside down in about an hour. I hope he had a good life

I'm sorry for your loss

I am sorry to hear this. I do understand - my betta went from normal to dead within a day at the weekend :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back