Betta With Stringy White Poop

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Reaction score
I noticed today that 2 of my bettas are not well? Yesterday I noticed what looks like a tumour growing under the skin of one of my girls left side only. Today I notice one has white stringy poop. Yet my other 4 all look healthy and happy. They are acting fine so are the other fish.

I have moved the one with stringy poop to the hospital tank. I left the one with the tumour like thing in the big tank. I'm afraid the stringy poop means parasites. As for the tumour I hope that it just that and nothing contagious. The fish with the tumour thing is still eating and swimming around. The one with stringy poop was always the queen of the tank now she is always hiding and does not come running for food. I am worried.

Could these 2 problems be related? Will my other fish catch this? I am starting to freak out.

I did a 30% water change 2 weeks ago. I did another one today and I changed my sponge in the filter. Tank size is 36 Gal lightly stocked. Ammonia nitrites nitrates all at 0. temp is 78. I do regular water changes I take good care of my fish. How did this happen. Or is it nothing to worry about.

What is going on?

Is the sponge the only media inside of the filter?
If so, you could be getting rid of all of the beneficial bacteria. You don't have to replace it, just swish it around in some old tank water to loosen up the gunk that builds up.
The 0 nitrates is worrying, b/c normally, a cycled tank has some nitrate reading. How long has the tank been set up? Probably doesn't really matter though if you regularly get rid of the filter media.
Keep testing for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates to make sure your tank doesn't go through a mini-cycle.

Anywho... as for your fish.... I've never really had to deal with parasites before so can't tell you how to deal w/ that or spot the signs.
I would seperate the girl w/ the lump though, just in case it is a bacterial infection.
If she's still eating, you could try a internal bacterial medicated food. I know Jungle sells little pellets.
She could just be eating too much though. I've had a couple male bettas who I would accidently give too much food to, and they would develop a lump on 1 side.
So maybe stop feeding her for a day or so and see if it goes down any.

Is the sponge the only media inside of the filter?
If so, you could be getting rid of all of the beneficial bacteria. You don't have to replace it, just swish it around in some old tank water to loosen up the gunk that builds up.
The 0 nitrates is worrying, b/c normally, a cycled tank has some nitrate reading. How long has the tank been set up? Probably doesn't really matter though if you regularly get rid of the filter media.
Keep testing for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates to make sure your tank doesn't go through a mini-cycle.

Anywho... as for your fish.... I've never really had to deal with parasites before so can't tell you how to deal w/ that or spot the signs.
I would seperate the girl w/ the lump though, just in case it is a bacterial infection.
If she's still eating, you could try a internal bacterial medicated food. I know Jungle sells little pellets.
She could just be eating too much though. I've had a couple male bettas who I would accidently give too much food to, and they would develop a lump on 1 side.
So maybe stop feeding her for a day or so and see if it goes down any.

No the sponge is not the only thing in the filter. I know about that. I have the aqua clear it has 3 different mediums. I change one at a time every 3 months or so. I usually just rinse the sponge off in aquarium water and put it back in but it was time to change it. I had the same sponge in there for 9 months. The tank has been set up for 9 months now. With regular water changes I keep all levels at 0. Yes I have seen the Nitrates get up to 1.5 but I try not to let that happen. I know all about cycling and the biochemistry that goes on. That is most defiantly not the problem here.

This lump is not from over feeding. I know what a fat betta looks like. This is weird. I'm also concerned about the the string poop my other fish has. I have them both separated and I am starting a Penicillin treatment for bacterial infections.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back