Betta With Shrimp?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

b0b95

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
How would a betta fish do with shrimp? Cherry or amano shrimp

Some bettas will do ok with shrimp, so long as the shrimp was established first so they can find hiding places, others will view them as food. It's hard to tell between individuals how they'll view shrimp in their tank.

i plan on heavily planting the 5 gallon, so would that work?

It will probably be ok ,but keep in mind the shrimp if more than one may reproduce having small young leaving the baby shrimp very vulnerable to being eaten by your betta

If you heavily plant though it'll be likely fine may I reccomend hornwort it is a very good hideout for your betta and will be found at Petsmart it is very messy though

Ethan:I hope your plan goes well :good:

okay, is a sponmge filter a good filter for betta

I put shrimp in my tank and my fighter grabbed the biggest one, swam with it in its mouth crushing it then dropped it leaving its lifeless body to the mercy of curious neons.

I would avoid cherry shrimp, bettas may not nibble them at first but eventually, they will.

I've watched my previous sorority gobble down 10 cherry shrimp that were new to the tank, also witnessed them gobbling 20 cherrys, which were in there first.

Amanos,t hey are fine with.

I've got my male Beta in my community tank and at present all is OK.
But my fallback position will be to place him in my 7.5 gallon with an
established colony of cherry shrimp -
sure hope I don't have to do that - guess it will be goodbye to the shrimp :shout:

Ethan:What is the size of your tank?
And this may relate yo your question and you may find it helpful even though your doing cherry or amano shrimp this is about ghost shrimp

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=56464

tell me if you find it helpful

quoted from Tsuhei
I actually suggest not getting them from my own personal experiences.

I got two for Astaire's tank a while back. They actually started attacking my fish. In fact, they latched onto his tail fin and ate part of it even though I fed them regularly. I took them back to the petsmart immediately and didn't even ask for my money back. I didn't want them anymore.

Right after that incident, he got finrot and I've been battling it for about 4-5 months.

Ethan: I find that might not be the case with cherry shrimp though just be cautious I think it'll probably be fine tho

quoted from Shinnybetta
Ghost shrimp don't produce that much waste. And it isn't very harmful. Also, I don't think those were ghost shrimp, there are larger species that look similar and may attack fish.

I would also consider that post

Look here too

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101107090822AAl31H6

Hope this helped here is a betta care sheet http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49160

I keep mine with 3 Amano's with no problem's whatsoever!

James.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back