Betta with Saddleback

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Kribz

Reaction score
This is an ā€œemergencyā€ thatā€™s been brewing for a couple of weeks. This is Swimmy. Swimmy is my momā€™s office betta. She mentioned that she was treating him for swim rot and that quickly turned into, ā€œcan Swimmy live in your hospital tank?ā€ Swimmy has saddleback. And itā€™s pretty far progressed. Being that I live in po-dunk middle of nowhere Montana, my access to fish meds locally is limited. Iā€™m currently treating with aquarium salts (1.5tsp/gal at current) Pimafix and life guard. Iā€™m using Herbtana as an immune booster. The tank is 2.5 gallons (cheap to treat), planted and cycled. Temp lowered to 70 degrees to slow the cycle. No ammonia, 15ish ppm nitrates, no nitrites. Swimmy is active and eating. He is not outwardly distressed.

My question is, even if he were to beat columnaris, is his quality of life going to be impacted by the damage that has been inflicted? I have no experience with anything this far progressed. Any help would be appreciated. Swimmy is beloved and we want to do the right thing by him.

Attachments

• DF23DF0C-D760-40DB-9C1B-E4EC985A8B48.jpeg
    DF23DF0C-D760-40DB-9C1B-E4EC985A8B48.jpeg
    281.8 KB · Views: 49
  • E975D6FC-50D8-4660-81A1-7333F549F126.jpeg
    E975D6FC-50D8-4660-81A1-7333F549F126.jpeg
    286.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 00193B0B-930B-41DB-92AE-40E666B186FC.jpeg
    00193B0B-930B-41DB-92AE-40E666B186FC.jpeg
    265.7 KB · Views: 53
euthanise it.

you need antibiotics to stop that and part of his back is gone. it won't regrow. save your money, save the fish some stress. put it down.
Thatā€™s what Iā€™m kind of leaning towards. I just wanted a second opinion. Thank you for your response I really appreciate it.

Agree with Colin, that poor fish is too far gone...

Thank you for your reply. I wish I had gotten ahold of him earlier. My mom sent him with me about a week ago. Which unfortunately was like a month too late. I euthanized him this morning.
Agree with Colin, that poor fish is too far gone...

Thank you for your reply. I wish I had gotten ahold of him earlier. My mom sent him with me about a week ago. Which unfortunately was like a month too late. I euthanized him this morning.
You are welcome, sorry for the loss

I find a quick dash against a concrete floor to be the most effective. A bit brutal for us but I think it is fast for the fish.

what is a "dash"? sorry for being graphic. Can you PM me what it means? i feel bad posting it on someone's thread who just lost their fishie :(

Sorry for your loss.

what is a "dash"? sorry for being graphic. Can you PM me what it means? i feel bad posting it on someone's thread who just lost their fishie :(

Sorry for your loss.
No worries! It honestly doesnā€™t bother me. Iā€™ve done 2 ways in my years of fish keeping. Clove oil, which honestly the way my fish reacted to that did not in any way seem like it was humane. And to just scoop them in a little bit of tank water and pop them in the freezer. Iā€™ve heard that this just lowers the temp progressively and they just kinda go to sleep.

By dashing Iā€™m pretty sure they mean give them a solid whack on the head. But honestly as far as traumatic for me and the fish that one ranks high because I donā€™t think I could follow through in a way that killed the fish on the first go.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back