Betta with Ghost shrimp?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JasperWard

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I currently have a 5 gallon planted tank with a 3.5 year old female betta Cinnamon. The plant life includes anubias nana petite (2). anubias barteri (1), Bacopa carolinia (2 bunches), Water sprite (2 bunches), 6-8 oz of java moss, some floating salvina, rosette sword (2), Java fern (1), marimo moss ball (3), and some dwarf hairgrass. I have good cover with dragon okho, slate, manzanita branches and dried Indian almond leaves. Would this be sufficent for 3-4 ghost shrimp with by betta, she has poor eye sight and can not hunt, I am more worried about the shrimp being aggresive. I am unsure since I have heard the stories if aggresive ghost shrimp, no not macro shrimp, ghost shrimp.
Water parameters:
Kh:7
Gh:4
Ph:6.8
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
Temp:78

Hi everyone,
I currently have a 5 gallon planted tank with a 3.5 year old female betta Cinnamon. The plant life includes anubias nana petite (2). anubias barteri (1), Bacopa carolinia (2 bunches), Water sprite (2 bunches), 6-8 oz of java moss, some floating salvina, rosette sword (2), Java fern (1), marimo moss ball (3), and some dwarf hairgrass. I have good cover with dragon okho, slate, manzanita branches and dried Indian almond leaves. Would this be sufficent for 3-4 ghost shrimp with by betta, she has poor eye sight and can not hunt, I am more worried about the shrimp being aggresive. I am unsure since I have heard the stories if aggresive ghost shrimp, no not macro shrimp, ghost shrimp.
Water parameters:
umm not sure what ur talking about
there is a big ghost shrimp but it is saltwater
and the normal small ones
if she is not hungry she will not attack

I've not heard of ghost shrimp being aggressive. But I have heard of long arm shrimps (macrobrachiums) being mis-sold as ghosts and it's only when people post photos of their shrimps on here that they realise that they are not ghost shrimps.

The only thing to think about is that if the betta cannot see properly, she might be distressed by shrimps touching her when she can't see them coming.

My betta doesnt seem to notice the shrimp.in his tank, well, he except eats the babies but the 8 adults and him coexist in a planted 10. The adults are 1.5 " and 2"

My bettas and ghost shrimp lived happily together until they began molting their shells, then well.. you can see from my profile picture what happened. Maybe when the ghost shrimp molt they set off some scent that alerts the betta that's its food, I don't know, but it was sad :( I don't stock them shrimp anymore. I have attached a larger picture to show the detail.. although I was amazed I was there and able to capture the moment, it was still heartbreaking to see the little guy eaten like that.

Attachments

• IMG_3815(1).jpg
    IMG_3815(1).jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 54
My bettas and ghost shrimp lived happily together until they began molting their shells, then well.. you can see from my profile picture what happened. Maybe when the ghost shrimp molt they set off some scent that alerts the betta that's its food, I don't know, but it was sad :( I don't stock them shrimp anymore. I have attached a larger picture to show the detail.. although I was amazed I was there and able to capture the moment, it was still heartbreaking to see the little guy eaten like that.
will guppies do the same thing?
poor little shrimp...

Hi everyone,
Water parameters:
Ghost shrimp usually aren't aggressive.

It all depends on the temperament of the Betta. Since yours is a female, I would guess its OK. However, always have a backup plan.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back