Betta with fin rot-help!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Chantal38

Reaction score
Ive been looking through the forum for advice on how to treat my betta’s fin rot & was wondering if anyone could help. I think his fin rot started because the temp in his tank was too low...ive since purchased a heater and also moved him to a 23 litre tank...since the heater & the bigger tank he has really perked up...ive also added aquarium salt to his water...9g per litre as the packet advised...i havent noticed the fin rot get any worse in the last couple of days...if i post some pics could anyone please tell me if they think his fin rot is mild, moderate or severe? And if i need to do any further treatment at this stage and what treatment do you suggest...ive read that bettafix & melafix are not recommended for bettas so i want to make sure i treat him with the right treatment...or do i need to be a bit more patient & see if the aquarium salt does the trick? Also should i remove the plant from his tank...he does like to rest in it a lot?
Water parameters are:

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 0.5

Nitrite 0

KH 6

GH 7

PH 7.6

Chlorine 0

Thanks

Attachments

• 7478BB54-9A63-4CDE-A790-BCA762BC1CC9.jpeg
    7478BB54-9A63-4CDE-A790-BCA762BC1CC9.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 66
  • F0EAA41A-F53F-4854-99F1-955EC5BD2FCD.jpeg
    F0EAA41A-F53F-4854-99F1-955EC5BD2FCD.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 65
  • 9299D6DF-BF43-463E-A65B-48F5F15F85F5.jpeg
    9299D6DF-BF43-463E-A65B-48F5F15F85F5.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 63
  • 26B30803-3289-4439-A54C-4CC5E90ED71B.jpeg
    26B30803-3289-4439-A54C-4CC5E90ED71B.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 60
Hi, your test results look good :) how often do you do a water change? How much water do you change at a time?

How long have you had this betta?

Did you cycle your tank?

It seems to me that you are doing everything correctly to treat this. :) do a water change of 50% or more every couple days to help, usually I would say 75% daily but your water levels look alright, but you can do this if you wish :)

You parameters seem to all be in check. How long have you had the tank set up? How often do you clean the filter? How often do you preform water changes? How many gallons is the tank?

IME fins take a month or more to repair. Keep the salt in for 2 weeks. Follow Juicebox's advice on the water changes. I would also add Indian Almond Leaves. They are supposed to have healing properties and are natural in a betta habitat. Their tanins reduce the pH which will improve the curling fins. Remove any carbon or purigen if using almond leaves.

I can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 weeks. :)

Yes mine took over a month

Ive had the fish for almost 2 months, when i first had him he was kept in a 2.6 gallon fish bowl having been given some poor advice from my local fish store about being able to keep bettas in smaller tanks..i did have an air/filter pump in there so im not 100% sure if this would have fully cycled...when i set it up i added healthy bacteria & water conditioner, the fish store told me i could add the fish after a couple of days as i was using safe start but i waited a week...i was doing 25% water changes once a week & testing nitrites & nitrates regularly which always seemed to remain stable. The fish then started to get really lethargic & appeared unable to swim well so I treated him for what i thought may be swim bladder & at the same time invested in a heater (around this time i think i could have experienced a slight spike in nitrite also, so i upped my water changes, i did a 50% one on the first day then 25% for 2 days & this seemed to bring the levels back down. Having done a lot more research i then decided to invest in a bigger tank...6 gallon, which obviously had a new filter...i conditioned all the water & added healthy bacteria to the water & made sure it was the right temp before adding the fish...i also placed the pump/airfilter from the old bowl in to the new tank also.....he has been in the new tank for 1 week & i have been testing the water daily nitrites & amonia have been 0...im due to carry out a weekly water change today & have put off doing any sooner as the water parameters have been good & i didnt want to stress the fish any more than neccessary...do you think i need to treat the fin rot with anything else at this stage?

Just do large regular water changes. You can add aquarium salt too

Ok thank you...i have already added aquarium salt...do you think i need to treat with anything else at this stage or just continue with water changes & salt? Im going to look at adding almond leaves too...

Ok thank you...i have already added aquarium salt...do you think i need to treat with anything else at this stage or just continue with water changes & salt? Im going to look at adding almond leaves too...
Yes definitely do almond leaves.other than that keep up with what you're doing :)

Ive had the fish for almost 2 months, when i first had him he was kept in a 2.6 gallon fish bowl having been given some poor advice from my local fish store about being able to keep bettas in smaller tanks..i did have an air/filter pump in there so im not 100% sure if this would have fully cycled...when i set it up i added healthy bacteria & water conditioner, the fish store told me i could add the fish after a couple of days as i was using safe start but i waited a week...i was doing 25% water changes once a week & testing nitrites & nitrates regularly which always seemed to remain stable. The fish then started to get really lethargic & appeared unable to swim well so I treated him for what i thought may be swim bladder & at the same time invested in a heater (around this time i think i could have experienced a slight spike in nitrite also, so i upped my water changes, i did a 50% one on the first day then 25% for 2 days & this seemed to bring the levels back down. Having done a lot more research i then decided to invest in a bigger tank...6 gallon, which obviously had a new filter...i conditioned all the water & added healthy bacteria to the water & made sure it was the right temp before adding the fish...i also placed the pump/airfilter from the old bowl in to the new tank also.....he has been in the new tank for 1 week & i have been testing the water daily nitrites & amonia have been 0...im due to carry out a weekly water change today & have put off doing any sooner as the water parameters have been good & i didnt want to stress the fish any more than neccessary...do you think i need to treat the fin rot with anything else at this stage?
Bettas don't like a lot of water flow so consider baffling the filter and turning down the air pump. If the plants are plastic run some nylon tights/ pantyhose over the plants , if they damage the tights remove the plants.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back