Betta With Back Probelm And Finrot

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

zophie

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi,

Usually I would fill out the facts about my betta, but since I got him today, I can't really do that...

My Betta's name is Muffin. I got him today, from a LFS. He was a 'rescue' betta who I fell in love with: he couldn't swim properly because his back was deformed, and so he was in a tank with a bunch of other fish.

Well, I fell in love with Muffin and got him today for free. When I took him home, I acclimatized him for about 30 minutes, floating the bag and adding water slowly. Eventually, I figured I should net him, so I took the bag out of the water and cut it open. I left the bag on my bookshelf and walked away, to get the net.

When I came back, the bag had fallen off the book-shelf and Muffin was flipping around in my laundry basket. I figured that the laundry basket had saved his life- if he had fallen 4 feet onto the floor, he would be dead.

So anyway, I finally managed to scoop him up and drop him into the tank. Currently, he's lying, a little dazed at the bottom.

I think he'll live, because he comes up for air and looks pretty good. I am worried, though, about his fins.
Before, he had minor fin rot, but I think that I may have split his fins when I picked him up.

His fins are in ribbons; there all ripped up into little strips. My question is this: What can I do to help his fins?

Some Statistics:

Tank: 2 gallons (small, but temporary)
Water Temp: 78 degrees (?)
pH: 6.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: ?
Filter: No
Heater: Yes
Air Stone: No

Well, that's all I can think of. Help appreciated!! I'll try and get some pics and videos up ASAP.

Oh poor little mite :sad: Daily water changes are good for fin rot. Try to get hold of some MYXACIN which treats rot, ulcers, bacterial infections. It's a 5 day treatment that can be repeated if necc. Don't change his water whilst you are doing the 5 day treatment. Wait until the treatment if finished. It's a very good medication to try. another thing is to get hold of an Almond leaf. You can get them on ebay. They make the water go brown,- but are often recommended to assist in healing of betta fins.

It would be of benefit to get a filter for him too if you can :good:

Hope you manage to get him looking a bit better without too much trouble. It sounds like he's got more than enough to deal with :sad: So glad that you've given him a chance :good: :D

Thanks! I wouldn't have given him up for anything :)

Will look into the medicine. I was thinking of getting a filter, but I herd that 2 gallons is too small for a filter. Also, I think the flow would be too strong for him, since his water level is really low (so he can get to the top)

Well, thanks for your advice!! What do you think of the filter thing?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back