Betta with an eye-deformity. Should I buy?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Thanks a lot for all the earlier info you posted, Charlie, it's was quite encouraging and for now clarifying that for me.

You are right, I have no idea what the eye issue is at all. I'm guessing it's just a defect from poor breeding, perhaps.

I apologise to @AilyNC for being a little bit sharp, but I am standing by my guns with regards to the other thread we have been discussing.

Get the Betta. It's a nice looking fish & you clearly like it. It's not too long a journey from Manchester to London & you can look up youtube videos of posting live fish to send to the seller. Hopefully it settles in quickly & has a nice long fishy life.

I'd love a betta myself but also want too many fish for my tanks :)

@AilyNC
Any excuse! Sorry, only compressed versions accessible at the moment as I'm at work.
118890092_335349190919924_2247703029478424317_n.jpg

118626600_611885472808404_286940917547344250_n.jpg

Seller sent me a video of the Betta. I'm not sure what to think, looks like she is overfeeding them, judging by the amount of food she has floating in the tank. Also at 1.06m into the video you see the gills open very wide, I never saw my old Betta do that. Cannot post vids, so had to upload to dropbox...

BETTA VIDEO

Seller sent me a video of the Betta. I'm not sure what to think, looks like she is overfeeding them, judging by the amount of food she has floating in the tank. Also at 1.06m into the video you see the gills open very wide, I never saw my old Betta do that. Cannot post vids, so had to upload to dropbox...

BETTA VIDEO
Can you try uploading it to YouTube?

Certainly...

Bad-Eyed Betta

Looking at the pock marks on the face, it looks just like the HITH pics I've seen on google.
Seeing it in the video definitely looks like hith. Do you have a quarantine tank? It also looks like that water hasn't been changed in a while. If you can quarantine it I would get it still, if not I would pass.

Seeing it in the video definitely looks like hith. Do you have a quarantine tank? It also looks like that water hasn't been changed in a while. If you can quarantine it I would get it still, if not I would pass.

I have a little 20 litre tank that needs a serious clean out, that I could use to quarantine the fish. Are you suggesting I put it into a quarantine tank, treat it with medication, and then release into my main tank?

So this could get passed on to my RC Shrimp, if I were to mix the two?

In all honesty, I'm no expert, but I have kept one Platinum Betta just like this before, and to me it does not look good.

I have a little 20 litre tank that needs a serious clean out, that I could use to quarantine the fish. Are you suggesting I put it into a quarantine tank, treat it with medication, and then release into my main tank?

So this could get passed on to my RC Shrimp, if I were to mix the two?

In all honesty, I'm no expert, but I have kept one Platinum Betta just like this before, and to me it does not look good.
I don't know if shrimp can get it (I highly doubt it), but they are sensitive to medication, same as plants. You could try treating it, and at least it would have a proper home to pass in. It doesn't look good, but it could be worse.

You are right, I have no idea what the eye issue is at all. I'm guessing it's just a defect from poor breeding, perhaps.
Been sat here eating my popcorn on this thread, however.

It does not look like cataracts to me, this looks like an excess of growth coming up around the eye.
Cataracts look like this
https://umaine.edu/cooperative-aquaculture/investigation-of-cataracts-in-atlantic-cod/

While not necessarily perfect I doubt it will cause any issue with the fish, as long as it stays the same size and doesn't increase in size or coverage.

Edit: changed link

About the gills at 1:06 it looks like the fish is trying to flare at something. I only know because a betta did this to me the other day on fish shop "oh look he doesn't like you at all" yeah sound.

But I know nothing of HITH & other diseases and refer to his Honour @Colin_T on such matters.

I'm back in the don't buy this fish camp. Too much doubt.

About the gills at 1:06 it looks like the fish is trying to flare at something. I only know because a betta did this to me the other day on fish shop "oh look he doesn't like you at all" yeah sound.

But I know nothing of HITH & other diseases and refer to his Honour @Colin_T on such matters.

I'm back in the don't buy this fish camp. Too much doubt.

Hmmm.. interesting. You know I think you might be right about the Flaring. I thought only males did that? I was sure I had never seen it before with my old Betta, Wihtgar, and it didn't look right to me.

I'm hoping @Ch4rlie will come back and view the video and give his opinion.

Linking the video again for any newcomers to this thread.

I am certainly no expert when it comes to bettas, in fact not even a novice since have never kept one before!! :lol:

But though I do have a nice 7.5 gal tank for a Betta am planning on setting up for my son in near future.

However, looking at the video, have to say I think it’s flaring at own reflection in the glass.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back