Betta with an eye-deformity. Should I buy?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Huscarl86

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying this Betta, she has an eye-deformity...

deye.jpg

As you can see this Betta has a cataract-type eye deformity. The seller has this to say;

"she has an almost covered eye, she can still see.
she is healthy swimming and eats well.
Absolutely Stunning Female Halfmoon yellow gold Platinum betta fish, 7 months old. She will keep growing until fully grown at 9 months. This fish comes from clean disease free tanks."

Does anyone know what this is? Am I asking for problems? Will it get sick/die, or is this just a cosmetic deformity?

Thanks a lot,
Carl.

I would! Although itā€™s not the eye Iā€™d be concerned about, itā€™s the little pits in her head. @Colin_T

Hello, thanks for the reply. I did notice that, but didn't think too much of it. Do you know what that is?

EDIT: Looks like it could be fairly mild 'Hole in the head' disease?

Last edited:
Honestly no, but the fact itā€™s not normal would be a concern. Iā€™m a softie though and would buy her anyway. My betta is only one eyed so I have an affinity with less than perfect fish

I suggested to the seller that it could be 'Hole in the head' disease, and asked to see a video of the fish swimming and feeding, here's the reply I got;

"Hi, this is normal from the bettas. Contact me tomorrow on my group from the app.
And I'll send for you the video of her.
She's completely fine. "

Sounds legit, but hopefully someone else can shed some light on the pitting before I make a decision.

Actually for the two problems the betta as, you would think the owner would give it a good home freely.

I was thinking about that, and telling the seller I will pay the postage, and adopt the Betta instead of buying her. I do not think they will go for that, but I may make the offer and then leave it a couple of weeks or even longer, to see if they cave in.

I wouldn't buy it.

Bettas don't get hole in the head disease.

Thanks for the advice, Colin. Not doubting your knowledge, but the research I did on it last night suggests that they do:

Betta - Hole in the head

I do not know what to think and will need to do a bit more research and hopefully get some more definitive answers.

I wouldn't touch it. Find another fish that is perfect.

But... she needs a home :(. In all seriousness nothing is perfect in this world.

There are really only 3 options for this fish; either somebody buys her, or she stays in the little display tank for the rest of her life (which actually isn't a viable option at all), or she gets euthanised which I think would be completely unfair without knowing a bit more about what's affecting her.

I was thinking about that, and telling the seller I will pay the postage, and adopt the Betta instead of buying her. I do not think they will go for that, but I may make the offer and then leave it a couple of weeks or even longer, to see if they cave in.

But... she needs a home :(. In all seriousness nothing is perfect in this world.

There are really only 3 options for this fish; either somebody buys her, or she stays in the little display tank for the rest of her life (which actually isn't a viable option at all), or she gets euthanised which I think would be completely unfair without knowing a bit more about what's affecting her.

Yes, some kind soul should adopt it. Animals are like people, when they are ill or vulnerable they need even more compassison and help.

Thanks for the advice, Colin. Not doubting your knowledge, but the research I did on it last night suggests that they do:

Betta - Hole in the head

I do not know what to think and will need to do a bit more research and hopefully get some more definitive answers.

Put like that, buy her, give her the love she needs.

@Huscarl86

When you say postage, how is the fish shipped ?

I was concerned about that and did ask the seller, they told me:

" Hi, for transportation we are using polystyrene box with heat pack and well protect."

They are sent via "Express" next day delivery.

I had a look through the feedback:

feedback.png

I read through them aswell, this person ONLY sells Bettas, and whatever they are doing seems to be working, as they have had only one neutral response about a fish who arrived with swim bladder.

As I've said, it's not something I've ever considered doing, and I don't particularly like it, but this fish is a special case for me. I wasn't even planning on getting another one until the new year, until I saw this one and took pity on it.

I was concerned about that and did ask the seller, they told me:

" Hi, for transportation we are using polystyrene box with heat pack and well protect."

They are sent via "Express" next day delivery.

I had a look through the feedback:

View attachment 120365

I read through them aswell, this person ONLY sells Bettas, and whatever they are doing seems to be working, as they have had only one neutral response about a fish who arrived with swim bladder.

As I've said, it's not something I've ever considered doing, and I don't particularly like it, but this fish is a special case for me. I wasn't even planning on getting another one until the new year, until I saw this one and took pity on it.

I would imagine that there are many people who have the necessary expertise on this forum who would know whether you can 'post' a living creature.

I certainly would do everything possible to adopt it. If not, I'm sure that nobody will buy it and the man may just leave it to die. I suppose that your location is too far for you to go and rescue it ? Poor thing, it deserves to have a happy life.

How much will it cost you to save it?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back