Betta With A Huge Growth? Cancer?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

candycorn

Reaction score
fish_zpsc257abdf.jpg

So my beloved office betta has a terrible growth as you can see. (he is white in the photos...my work camera had a flash I could not turn off so I blocked it with my finger and now he is pink!)
He is in a 3 gallon planted tank with filter and heater. He has been with me for over a year. The growth started as some strange bump about 3 months ago...but has definatly progressed. I fear it is cancer. His fins have also become very straggly in the last week or two. I have added traces of salt on the advice of my wife who has been a fishkeeper for years.
Has anyone seen this before? Is there any chance it could be something else? I breed show mice, so I understand how to ease the pain of a mouse with a large tumor and at what point they are in pain...but I am at a loss with a fish. How do I know when he is in pain/too far gone? I realise that fish are not mammels and don't express pain, but I don't want him to suffer either. This is my first fish with this sort of growth.
Any thoughts?

Poor guy, doesn't look very nice for him :(
I think you'd probably get more replies if this were in the emergency section. Might be worth a mod moving it over?

It is probably an incurable tb lesion. In case, do not touch the water without hand protection, if you have open cuts or are immune compromised. Transmission to humans as a skin infection is rare, but possible. There is, sadly, no hope for the fish, and I would euthanize the poor guy.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back