Betta very sick - EMERGENCY Please Help!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

That is 99% a bacterial infection. I recently had a male dwarf gourami with exactly the same symptoms. Unfortunately he did not pull through.
Did it help to use any baths or meds? My fish is somehow still alive! I gave him a salt bath yesterday, which immediately helped. He looked way better. about four hours later, I gave him some anti-bacterial meds. He didn't change when I gave him that. Today, I gave him a salt bath, but I think he's worse. Can I use both baths and meds or am I just overdosing him. It could also be the stress or because he stopped eating. He hasn't eaten in five days any ideas? I don't know how long bettas can last without food but he is obviously weak from lack of food. How do I get him to eat if he can't even swim to the top of the tank. I could put him in a cup with food, or give him some sinking pellets. They're intended for frogs but he eats them anyway when he's healthy. Also, how do I lower stress? His water is good, I've been giving him less light, his filter is on low, but he probably would get better if he was happier. Hopefully he survives until someone can answer all these questions!

Clove oil does not "suffocate" the fish. I have used clove oil to SEDATE fish for minor surgical procedures AND to euthanize the fish. If the fish felt itself suffocating, same as humans.... they would always violently thrash about (such as when out of water). Clove oil usage is almost always a very calm process where the fish just falls asleep slowly.
Yeah, the clove oil sedates them to the point they cannot breath and then they die of hypoxia. They may not be conscious of it (hopefully) and they unable to move because of the sedation effect but they are still dying from lack of oxygen for a prolonged period of time.

Frankly the most humane method is a big hammer. Just that most of us put our own feelings above that of fish welfare and go for the "clean" options.

Also, how do I lower stress? His water is good, I've been giving him less light, his filter is on low, but he probably would get better if he was happier. Hopefully he survives until someone can answer all these questions!
Unfortunately there is no "this is exactly what you need to do to fix the problem".

I would say don't worry about feeding. Fish can go awhile without food and leaving excess food in the tank will cause more issues than it solves. If it isn't eating maybe give it a couple of days and try a very small amount. If it still isn't eating give it another couple of days, etc.

Personally I would skip the salt baths. Other people may have more experience and disagree, in which case listen to them. However in my opinion your causing more stress by doing this and the salt baths are not likely to really help the problem (again my opinion and I hopefully may be wrong).

If you have an antibacterial medication then I would just use this in the tank as its the only fish in there. Be aware though that this may break your biological filtration which itself will cause more issues.

I cant remember if you had an airstone or anything in the tank. If you are using any medication in the tank I would add an airstone (near the water surface for a betta to not create too much current). Some medications can reduce the oxygen concentrations in the water so you want good water surface movement to make sure you are keeping the water oxygenated.

I really wish I had something better to suggest. Just try and make sure the water quality is good and keep your fingers crossed. Hoping you have good luck and it manages to pull through.

@xxBarneyxx
Actually fish vets and fish vet literature I have talked to and read say the clove oil method is humane. There is no evidence to suggest that it isn't humane or that it causes suffering. It is more ideal to use MS-222 but not everyone can get that.

Your method is humane if done correctly and if the fish is small enough. With a larger fish, this method is much harder to use and can result in suffering if the fish isn't hit hard enough. Trying to euthanize a 35 lb Koi this way for example just isn't recommend. At all.

A correctly done decapitate and pith is to me the MOST humane way, but I realize not many are going to want to do this - so the clove oil method is the easiest for most.

Ok so day three of what I think is Columnaris and he's somehow still alive! The hole is the same size but after two salt baths and two doses of anti-bacterial medication the white glaze is completely gone! This should mean, if I'm right that it's columnaris, he's already getting better fast! He's crazy stressed, so I put in a bubble maker for oxygen, I tested his water, and I will stop using the salt baths. If it gets worse again I'll probably euthanize, but right now he's very healthy compared to yesterday! He is physically better, but he still won't swim. He can, but he doesn't want to unless encouraged by a hand. He won't eat, but I'll try some frozen worms to entice him tomorrow. And for the record I agree with all the posts that said to decapitate or hammer. Seems faster for both parties. Also would some epsom salt for the pain stress him out and can I use it with the medication or is that too much stuff in his tank. The bubble maker hasn't seemed to do much yet except cause stress, but I'll give it some time. Anyway any better ideas to heal his physical wound once the bacteria is dead?

Ok so day three of what I think is Columnaris and he's somehow still alive! The hole is the same size but after two salt baths and two doses of anti-bacterial medication the white glaze is completely gone! This should mean, if I'm right that it's columnaris, he's already getting better fast! He's crazy stressed, so I put in a bubble maker for oxygen, I tested his water, and I will stop using the salt baths. If it gets worse again I'll probably euthanize, but right now he's very healthy compared to yesterday! He is physically better, but he still won't swim. He can, but he doesn't want to unless encouraged by a hand. He won't eat, but I'll try some frozen worms to entice him tomorrow. And for the record I agree with all the posts that said to decapitate or hammer. Seems faster for both parties. Also would some epsom salt for the pain stress him out and can I use it with the medication or is that too much stuff in his tank. The bubble maker hasn't seemed to do much yet except cause stress, but I'll give it some time. Anyway any better ideas to heal his physical wound once the bacteria is dead?
That's some good news at least.

I can't answer on the salt, personally I never use it. Some people swear by it though so hopefully one of them can advise.

The bubble maker can be kept right under the water surface so it doesn't disturb the tank too much but adds some movement to the water surface. It is mostly just a precaution in case the meds you are using effect the oxygen content of the water.

I don't know if there is really much more you can do other than keep water quality as good as you can and hope for the best. I tend to fall in the camp of "keep them alive as long as possible" as they can turn around from some terrible conditions. My mother in law had a fish that lost an eye and its entire tail. I didn't give it much hope of lasting long, especially as it was in a Cichlid tank. It managed to heal up and lived quite happily for years in that tank though, with 1 eye and no tail, until she shut the tank down and re-homed it.

Not sure if it is more humane or not but in cases like this where you just can't be sure what the chances of recovery are I like to give them every chance I can.

It's day four and the little guy passed away. I found him right next to the bubble-maker with his nose in the gravel and his tail straight upwards. I buried him in my flower garden. Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions to try to help him. I did everything I could, but he still died to early. I don't think any little fish has ever been so loved. I will always remember him and his memory will live on in his tank and some new little frogs. Goodbye, little Dynamite, the smallest giant in the world.

Really sorry to hear that. Take some comfort in knowing that you did everything you could.

Sounds bad to me, I would not let any of my fish suffer like that. I would ethuize it because his gonna pass anyway, if he's lying on his side, then it may be the kindest thing to do.

Most reactions

Back