Betta Trouble

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ghettofarmulous

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I purchased a veil betta from lfs. I like to stand and observe fish before i buy them, esp. fish with character.
He was in a tank with about 30 male guppys of all things but was just rushing about the tank. stressed out.
I bought him and told the keeper its not good to keep such fish together!

Anyway he went into my 70L with 2 male guppys.

and a fwe corys and neons.
Didnt bother anybody all day. next morning all my corys have shredded fins and one dead sterbai. Not happy.
I kept him in a clear plastic container in the tank untill all the fish healed their wounds. Let him out during the day and back in at night. I thought he might learn that there is no threat to him in the tank and settle down.

He's been free in the tank for a couple week now and is behaving. All fish are in great health no niped fins.
Its amazing how the balance can change. The corys and guppys behaved in such a way that there was no threat to them. but as soon as the betta was brought in there was a dominant force in the tank.
Its all good.

Wow, just goes to shows that fish have personalities and can actually change the way they are :good:

I purchased a veil betta from lfs. I like to stand and observe fish before i buy them, esp. fish with character.
He was in a tank with about 30 male guppys of all things but was just rushing about the tank. stressed out.
I bought him and told the keeper its not good to keep such fish together!

Anyway he went into my 70L with 2 male guppys.

and a fwe corys and neons.
Didnt bother anybody all day. next morning all my corys have shredded fins and one dead sterbai. Not happy.
I kept him in a clear plastic container in the tank untill all the fish healed their wounds. Let him out during the day and back in at night. I thought he might learn that there is no threat to him in the tank and settle down.

He's been free in the tank for a couple week now and is behaving. All fish are in great health no niped fins.
Its amazing how the balance can change. The corys and guppys behaved in such a way that there was no threat to them. but as soon as the betta was brought in there was a dominant force in the tank.
Its all good.

You told them not to keep with male gups and then put him in a tank with male gups? Guppies are the worst tankmates for Bettas they often seem fine for a few weeks but after that all hell break loose

I tried to put Guppies and a Betta together at one point.In the end they happened to be best friends!The guppies trail behind my betta everywhere he goes.When it comes to feeding time it's as if the guppies let my betta, Rupert the Wonder Fish, have his fair-share:D

Ive kept guppies with nearly all the bettas Ive kept with no ill effects to any party involved.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back