Betta tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FishEs2978

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all ! I am getting two nano 22l tanks and I want to keep one male betta . Now the question is I am going to have a guppy , molly and pleco tank and then I would like a tank with my betta but I would also like some plecos , barbs and rams in there will that work ? If not what fish can I have with the betta ?

A 22l tank is really only suitable for a single betta. No other fish - bettas, typically, shouldn't be kept with other fish no matter what size the tank is. You could get some snails, and possibly shrimp (although they may become a snack to the betta).

Is your guppy/molly/pleco tank the other 22l? Because that is much too small. 22l is really only big enough for a betta, shrimp/snails, or maybe a pea puffer.

I wouldn't add anything with the betta. They do much better alone in my experience. I would certainly not put barbs or rams in with a betta.

As the other's have said, 22 litre tanks are too small for the vast majority of fish. If you have only two 22 litre tanks, they can realistically hold just one betta each, with maybe a snail for company, or a pea/dwarf puffer, again with no tank mates.

Bettas are not community fish, they are best kept alone.

Would it work better with a few females or would that still not work ?
Hey. Are you talking about a few female bettas? Because in a tank that size also wouldn’t work. Females are usually best kept in odd numbers to spread out aggression and the rule I usually go by for females is 5 gallons for 1 and an additional 2 gallons for every extra female. So even for just 3 females the very very bare minimum should be around 10 gallons. And even at that it would have to be heavily planted and it could still not go well. Should probably stick with a single male and some shrimp or snails with a 5 gallon :)

Could just divide the tank and have either 2 males or 2 females separated from eachother

Ok so I have decided I am so set on the idea of bettas that I will invest in two 22l tanks. one with two females and one with a male and a few amano shrimp, would that be alright ?

Two females in a 22 litre tank is a disaster waiting to happen. Female bettas can be kept together - in a group of at least 4 and in a bigger tank, with constant monitoring. With two in such a tiny tank one will bully the other and possibly kill her.

A 22 litre tank is suitable for only one betta, either male or female.

Shrimps depends on the betta. Some will ignore them, others will kill them.

Ok so I have decided I am so set on the idea of bettas that I will invest in two 22l tanks. one with two females and one with a male and a few amano shrimp, would that be alright ?
You can only keep 2 females together if there is a divider between them like I've mentioned above

Might I add, you live in an area with "very hard water" where as bettas are soft water fish

Ok , with all of your help I’ve decided to go for a guppy tank. When I went to my local fish shop they said one male to four females is this the right ratio ?

What size is the tank? Initially You were talking about 22 litre tanks. Guppies need bigger than this.

4 females and 1 male = hundreds of baby guppies. Every month.
In a small tank (bigger than 22 litres) I would keep only males.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back