Betta Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JodieBos

Reaction score
I have had a betta fish for about 18 months and he is in 22 litre tank. I am thinking of getting another one but want to try a different set us using a shallow tank with lots of plants but with a large surface area. So around 2ft x 1ft.
My issue is filtration. I am thinking an air stone might be better in this type of tank. Does anyone have experience with this type of setup?

I don't have experience with this tank set up but you would need a filter regardless as it will help clear up your tank. An airstone keeps the tank oxygenated but you would need a filter along with it. If you want to add tankmates to this upcoming tank go for neons and corys providing your GH is under 150ppm

Very strange, because I keep a Betta in a 40 litre tank, and I have also been looking at setting up a new 'Shallow tank', but I have decided I will probably need to use a larger tank and only half-fill it to achieve what I want to do, as I haven't been able to find a shallow tank with a lid, to prevent the Betta from jumping out of the tank, and you also have to consider how you will have your lighting set up.

I would be interested to know which tank you go with, I am looking at the Tetra Starter Line 110L, as it is 78cm long (6.5 inches longer than the 2ft you describe). I would have it filled up with around 60 litres and deep substrate and still have room for taller semi-submerged ornaments, and plants to grow.

The only downside is the lid is not transparent.

As for filters, with the size of tank you are describing, and if you're not overstocking (you wont want too much in a tank that size with the Betta) I think your best bet would be a small sponge filter.

Let me know how it goes and what tank you go for, as I have been looking at the exact same thing and will start my own thread soon.

If you want to add tankmates to this upcoming tank go for neons and corys providing your GH is under 150ppm
I wouldn't recommend tank mates with any betta. They're not a community fish and shouldn't be treated as such. There are multiple complications which occur when having a solitary fish in a community set up. Ultimately, fish suffer

I wouldn't recommend tank mates with any betta. They're not a community fish and shouldn't be treated as such. There are multiple complications which occur when having a solitary fish in a community set up. Ultimately, fish suffer
This is true however I was only suggesting ideas. Most bettas would be fine with corys.

I have had a betta fish for about 18 months and he is in 22 litre tank. I am thinking of getting another one but want to try a different set us using a shallow tank with lots of plants but with a large surface area. So around 2ft x 1ft.
My issue is filtration. I am thinking an air stone might be better in this type of tank. Does anyone have experience with this type of setup?
I've been looking at the ciano turtle tanks but no they don't have a lid so I will need to see if I can sort that. My current Betta Fish does not jump at all but I know some do. Have also been looking at the question of lighting and see there are various stand alone options.

I wasn't planning on having any other fish in the shallow tank just the one Betta Fish.

I like tanks with a top filter all 3 of mine have them except my main tank and i like them containing bio rings, cages with cotton media holding activated carbon with zeolite and then bio balls both my bettas are in seperate 5 gallon tanks with these systems.

IMG_20200504_131739_4 (1).jpg

New shallow tank ordered. There do not seem to be a lot of options for these in the UK so I have gone for a Ciano tartarium which I hope will work. Heater, small filter, plants etc all on their way. Will let you know how it goes.

Once set up and cycled I will move Derek my Betta fish in. That then leaves me with my 22 litre tank and what to put in. I was thinking possible 6 neon tetra but in reality I think the tank is too small and will probably go for some Cherry Shrimp.

I have a couple of questions:

How many should I get.

Are they likely to breed and I become overrun with shrimp.

What do I feed them.

Do they escape easily. I have a lid but its not fitted it just sits on top with a small gap.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

New shallow tank ordered. There do not seem to be a lot of options for these in the UK so I have gone for a Ciano tartarium which I hope will work. Heater, small filter, plants etc all on their way. Will let you know how it goes.

Once set up and cycled I will move Derek my Betta fish in. That then leaves me with my 22 litre tank and what to put in. I was thinking possible 6 neon tetra but in reality I think the tank is too small and will probably go for some Cherry Shrimp.

I have a couple of questions:

How many should I get.

Are they likely to breed and I become overrun with shrimp.

What do I feed them.

Do they escape easily. I have a lid but its not fitted it just sits on top with a small gap.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
No fish apart from a betta can live in a 22l tank. Cherry shrimp might be eaten but provided enough plants they should be ok. I doon't know what to feed the shrimp but I know that they eat the algae. Get 3-4 of them becasue they will breed. If they breed the population would get shut down by the betta, who'd see the baby shrimp as a snack, so you won't need to do anything. Some may survive but this means that if you want to sell them, you might make some money.

I was thinking possible 6 neon tetra but in reality I think the tank is too small and will probably go for some Cherry Shrimp.
I agree, the tank is too small for neon tetras which need 60 cm swimming length. But it is perfect for shrimps.

I have red cherry shrimp in a 23 litre tank. They share it with a nerite snail.
Cherry shrimp don't over populate a tank - they somehow manage their population. Mine have not yet attempted to climb out of the tank, but there is a glass lid in 2 parts which sits on plastic strips.
The only thing to watch for is sucking up baby shrimps during a water change. They are very small and hard to see. I empty the bucket of old water with a jug and check each jugful before throwing it away.

So I have had the new tank running for just over 2 week so not put fish in yet. The tank is open top and I seem to be getting a scum on the surface. Could this be because it is opened topped?

Definitely you will get dust etc collecting in the water, even traffic fumes through an open window if you are in a very urban area of London. I would put a lid on it, especially if you intend to put a Betta inside.

I know you said before that your Betta doesn't jump, but the change in visual stimulus above the fish (from being in a 'closed tank' under lights, to an open shallow tank) may be enough for the Betta's curiousity to kick in, and for it to make an attempt to jump. I'm really hoping you won't try it.

When I was looking at doing a shallow tank myself, I looked at that very tank you bought and decided against it, as Ciano do actual fish tanks with the same length and width, just with more height + the lid.

Ciano Tank

In the end I found the Tetra Starter Line 105 litre. I decided the best way to do a shallow tank would be to half-fill a normal one.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back