FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

RCA

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi all,sorry not been around as much lately but do look in now and again.  As promised to Shelster some time ago here are the images of the "NEW" tank, as in brand spanking new, not something I do that often!  Still if you cannot treat yourself on your birthday 
wish.gif

Following the loss of Bob, I decided that a Fluval Spec would look great at the end of the hall in place of his tank.  I also decided that I had too many tanks in the bedroom, so moved my lovely, violet butterfly big eared plakat, into this new tank with some exciting chums. Orange Elephant Snails (Tylomelania sp. Yellow) now live with him as clean up crew and they are interesting to watch, as can be seen in this video I found on YouTube.  They are also sometimes known as Rabbit Snails.  They are interesting breeders, only giving birth to one at a time, and the young snail is incubated inside the mother so is independent within an hour of its arrival into the world.  See below for the next installment...

Slide1_zpsc360b4b8.jpg
 ​
We have had a baby 
balloon.gif
Slide2_zpsee2f7856.jpg
 ​
 ​
Hmm, not sure about you...
Slide3_zpsceb9d130.jpg
 ​
 ​
So Cute, if a snail can be cute
Slide4_zps95c93df5.jpg
 ​
Still not sure about you two, especially the little one!
Slide5_zps8a0ec8f7.jpg
 ​
 ​
What is cool about this tank is that the heater I use fits inside the chamber with the filter, so all is hidden from view.​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Lovely betta and snails! Must say though I'm not a fan of the underwater lights. But each to his/ her own. :)

Beautiful tank, beautiful betta, beautiful snails!!! :wub:

Love it! But then I would - I bought this tank in black on Friday 
cool1.gif

Love the snails too, might look into them myself as never had those before 
good.gif

Wish I had thought to look on amazon for heaters, hoping the one I ordered fits in the chamber.... hmm maybe I will order that one too anyway lol!

Very nice!
Those snails are so cute!!! Thats very interesting about their breeding!

Awesome tank set up RCA, thanks for sharing!

Gorgeous betta, love the snails too - I have seen these in my lfs and thought about them with my plakat ....hmmm.....

Thanks to you all for your lovely comments.

@TT - TBH I rarely put those lights on as they are battery operated, I just put them on for the photo, just for you 
photo.gif
   It runs primarily on the lights that came with it, and I have it come on late so that it lights the hall up at night until about 1:00 am.

@Sarette
  • It is a great tank, I think you will enjoy it.  Unfortunately, when I went to get mine from the LFS they only had black and I wanted white to fit in with the decor and the fish.  I had him in a tank with black substrate at one point and you could not see his wonderful colours.  The "Tana" and the tank show him off beautifully.  Alas, although I like to support my LFS it was going to take three weeks for them to get me one, so I bought on-line this time, after-all it was my birthday gift to myself, so why wait.  
  • In respect to the heaters, they are great, check out where to buy them through my review.  Note, this heater is 50W and was marketed to handle 50L, they are now re-marketed to be used in 30L (Ark Stores have the new model), so fine for the tank you have.  I have them in all my aquariums except the larger ones, over 50L, and love them for their size and reliability.  I always have one in spare as a back up to.  If your heater is new, maybe send/take it back and get the Superfish one?  
  • Just be careful when putting the heater in the chamber that it is not touching the cable for the filter.  Also, I have noted that the water will drop in this chamber first if you are doing any maintenance or if you temporarily turn the filter off, so make sure the heater is switched off too (which should be for safety/maintenance I guess).  I also have my digital thermometer probe outside the chamber towards the back right so that I am getting a reading from inside the tank.
  • Look forward to hearing about your plans for yours and seeing it set-up, start a journal with pics
    smile.png
I also made a Betta proof lid for mine, see picture below.

@Shelster, I think you would love the snails, they make a change from the Amano Shrimp I use with my other boys as a clean up crew.  They like places to hide as do not like bright light.  They also love cucumber stripping the edge of it pretty swiftly.  Great also for picking up dropped food, remember though to ensure you keep your Betta occupied with some food while you drop something in for the snails!

Guess what, we have another baby snail, noticed last night, it is tiny, I can see how much the other one has grown now.  To give you an idea the food it is eating is Tetra Pro Colour, so if you have used this food you will get an idea of the size of the new born vs the disc i.e. tiny.

Slide6_zps302a8ec3.jpg
 ​
 ​
 ​
Tank in Situ and Betta Safety Mesh Close Ups
 ​
Slide7_zps4c1de237.jpg

RCA said:
Thanks to you all for your lovely comments.

@TT - TBH I rarely put those lights on as they are battery operated, I just put them on for the photo, just for you 
photo.gif
   It runs primarily on the lights that came with it, and I have it come on late so that it lights the hall up at night until about 1:00 am.

@Sarette
  • It is a great tank, I think you will enjoy it.  Unfortunately, when I went to get mine from the LFS they only had black and I wanted white to fit in with the decor and the fish.  I had him in a tank with black substrate at one point and you could not see his wonderful colours.  The "Tana" and the tank show him off beautifully.  Alas, although I like to support my LFS it was going to take three weeks for them to get me one, so I bought on-line this time, after-all it was my birthday gift to myself, so why wait.  
  • In respect to the heaters, they are great, check out where to buy them through my review.  Note, this heater is 50W and was marketed to handle 50L, they are now re-marketed to be used in 30L (Ark Stores have the new model), so fine for the tank you have.  I have them in all my aquariums except the larger ones, over 50L, and love them for their size and reliability.  I always have one in spare as a back up to.  If your heater is new, maybe send/take it back and get the Superfish one?  
  • Just be careful when putting the heater in the chamber that it is not touching the cable for the filter.  Also, I have noted that the water will drop in this chamber first if you are doing any maintenance or if you temporarily turn the filter off, so make sure the heater is switched off too (which should be for safety/maintenance I guess).  I also have my digital thermometer probe outside the chamber towards the back right so that I am getting a reading from inside the tank.
  • Look forward to hearing about your plans for yours and seeing it set-up, start a journal with pics
    smile.png
I also made a Betta proof lid for mine, see picture below.

@Shelster, I think you would love the snails, they make a change from the Amano Shrimp I use with my other boys as a clean up crew.  They like places to hide as do not like bright light.  They also love cucumber stripping the edge of it pretty swiftly.  Great also for picking up dropped food, remember though to ensure you keep your Betta occupied with some food while you drop something in for the snails!

Guess what, we have another baby snail, noticed last night, it is tiny, I can see how much the other one has grown now.  To give you an idea the food it is eating is Tetra Pro Colour, so if you have used this food you will get an idea of the size of the new born vs the disc i.e. tiny.

Slide6_zps302a8ec3.jpg
 ​
 ​
 ​
Tank in Situ and Betta Safety Mesh Close Ups
 ​
Slide7_zps4c1de237.jpg

Thanks so much for the advice. I've ordered a heater, so will keep the other as a back up, or maybe i will get another tank and use it in there haha. I was wondering about covering the opening, will go search for some mesh now.. 

I toyed with getting the white one, but went for black.. Really like the tank so far! My bogwood is almost ready to go in and I am hoping my plants come tomorrow.

xx

Me again. Was just wondering what setting you have your filter pump on? i turned mine down to low as I was worried high would be too much for a Betta...?

Re: the mesh, I just got craft mesh from a local store and then used a paper binder clip from WHSmiths (only place I could find them!), alas could not get a white one!

Sarette said:
Me again. Was just wondering what setting you have your filter pump on? i turned mine down to low as I was worried high would be too much for a Betta...?
I set mine to medium.  If you look at my set up (first image) I have the nozzle coming out onto the rock tower to assist in keeping the current manageable.  Funny Betta though, sometimes he would go up to it and almost looked like he enjoyed the jet sending him off 
yes.gif
  Basically if you put plants or an ornament in front of the output pipe then you will find it assists in keeping the flow suitable for the Betta.  What Betta you planning on getting?

Brilliant, think I will turn mine up a bit then.. I found a breeder on eBay today - dawny something. Bought a very nice, light coloured young male, it was hard to choose!

Ordered some mesh, will see how creative I can be when it arrives...!

Sarette said:
Brilliant, think I will turn mine up a bit then.. I found a breeder on eBay today - dawny something. Bought a very nice, light coloured young male, it was hard to choose!

Ordered some mesh, will see how creative I can be when it arrives...!
That'll be Dawn Hurrell, I have looked at some of hers on eBay. I have found a breeder moving to Devon which is just the next county up from me :)

She is on Facebook under a group called Dawns bettas - they are lovely - it's the link I initially sent you RCA is one of hers x

Great, have found her group and joined. The fish shops locally have Bettas, but they are plain colours and I am guessing not as young... can't wait for him to arrive :)

My heater arrived today. It does not fit in the filter chamber!! And my fish arrived DOA. Not having the best day 
cry1.gif

Sarette said:
My heater arrived today. It does not fit in the filter chamber!! And my fish arrived DOA. Not having the best day :-(
Oh no!!! That is total rubbish :( RIP little fella :sad:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back