Betta Tank Recommendations

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

redtailshark34

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Okay so, I recently received a 5 gallon tank from a friend who had one and I wanted to keep a male betta in it. I have some questions:
1. What is the best food for a betta?
2. Do they need caves, places to hide?
3. What floating plants? Other plants?
4. Sand or gravel substrate?
Any other additional information is appreciated! I know the basics of a fishless cycle, and have all the proper tools on hand.

Donā€™t know any recommendations for bettas, havenā€™t had one in a while.
You should have rocks and places to hide just like in the wild.
Some red root floaters might be good but it depends on what you want
Again it depends on your preference. I personally like sand more than gravel but itā€™s totally your call.

Get a plain normal Betta with the long tail but don't buy a fancy variety like dragonscale, koi, or anything else that costs way more than it should. The more expensive and unusual the Betta, generally the weaker they are when it comes to their health and lifespan.

------------------
They should be fed a variety of foods ranging from frozen (but defrosted) brineshrimp, mysis shrimp, bloodworms, prawn, marine mix (prawn, fish & squid blended up).

They can had live brineshrimp, daphnia, mozzie larvae, aphids, small flies that are free of chemicals.

You can give them a dry Betta food as the main diet but add frozen and or live food every day in addition to the dry food. Dry food in the morning, frozen or live food in the later afternoon.

------------------
The best floating plant for Betta splendens is Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta). It grows well and has lots of branches for the fish to rest on. The plant also grows well underwater and can be planted in the gravel.

You don't normally need rock or wood caves but there are floating betta logs, which are plastic logs that have a hole in them and they have a suction cup that holds them near the surface. Some bettas like these.

------------------
If you already have an established aquarium, take some of the filter media/ material from that filter and put it in the new filter for the Betta tank. It should give you an instant cycle so you don't have to wait 4-6 weeks while the new tank cycles.

For dry food I always used a floating pellet food specifically made for bettas.

Iā€™ve found something that Blue wonā€™t eatā€¦frozen daphnia šŸ˜‚. The lfs didnā€™t get any live food delivered this week and as he wonā€™t touch the frozen heā€™ll have to put up with pelletsā€¦

Iā€™ve found something that Blue wonā€™t eatā€¦frozen daphnia
He would probably eat live Daphnia. Have you thought about culturing live food for him?
You can get mozzie larvae out of buckets of water in the garden, grow green water outdoors and put Daphnia and rotifers in them. If you have roses in the garden, look for aphids and tap them into a bucket and feed them to him. Small flies, mozzies, weevils (moths and larvae) and most other small non toxic insects are usually eaten.

He would probably eat live Daphnia. Have you thought about culturing live food for him?
You can get mozzie larvae out of buckets of water in the garden, grow green water outdoors and put Daphnia and rotifers in them. If you have roses in the garden, look for aphids and tap them into a bucket and feed them to him. Small flies, mozzies, weevils (moths and larvae) and most other small non toxic insects are usually eaten.
He loves the live ones, just lets the frozen ones drift past himā€¦

I have wondered about buying more packets of the live food and trying to keep that alive and fresh for longer but as for culturing live food, I donā€™t have an outside space šŸ˜¢ I live in a flatā€¦

Iā€™ll do some more readingā€¦šŸ™‚

Donā€™t know any recommendations for bettas, havenā€™t had one in a while.
You should have rocks and places to hide just like in the wild.
Some red root floaters might be good but it depends on what you want
Again it depends on your preference. I personally like sand more than gravel but itā€™s totally your call.
Okay, if I did get sand what is the best way to clean it?

Looking into red root floaters asap :)

Get a plain normal Betta with the long tail but don't buy a fancy variety like dragonscale, koi, or anything else that costs way more than it should. The more expensive and unusual the Betta, generally the weaker they are when it comes to their health and lifespan.

------------------
They should be fed a variety of foods ranging from frozen (but defrosted) brineshrimp, mysis shrimp, bloodworms, prawn, marine mix (prawn, fish & squid blended up).

They can had live brineshrimp, daphnia, mozzie larvae, aphids, small flies that are free of chemicals.

You can give them a dry Betta food as the main diet but add frozen and or live food every day in addition to the dry food. Dry food in the morning, frozen or live food in the later afternoon.

------------------
The best floating plant for Betta splendens is Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta). It grows well and has lots of branches for the fish to rest on. The plant also grows well underwater and can be planted in the gravel.

You don't normally need rock or wood caves but there are floating betta logs, which are plastic logs that have a hole in them and they have a suction cup that holds them near the surface. Some bettas like these.

------------------
If you already have an established aquarium, take some of the filter media/ material from that filter and put it in the new filter for the Betta tank. It should give you an instant cycle so you don't have to wait 4-6 weeks while the new tank cycles.
I was thinking of going for a veil tail, this one wouldnā€™t be considered a super fancy one would it?

I will be grabbing some water sprite and some logs for the tank.

Once I set up the tank I will transfer over some sponge from my 2 year old established 20 gallon.
Do you know the best brand for bloodworms and/or brine shrimp?

if I did get sand what is the best way to clean it?
Put some of the sand in a bucket, run water into the bucket while stirring the sand, pour the water away and repeat until the water is clear. Then do the next batch.

I was thinking of going for a veil tail, this one wouldnā€™t be considered a super fancy one would it?
No, veiltails aren't considered fancy. That's bettas like half moons, rose tails etc.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back