Betta tank construction

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

andywg

Bored into leaving
Reaction score
Well, as you have probably seen, I recently set up my 100 gallon community tank.

Following some reading on this site, I realised that with the currents needed and the size of the tank my betta (George) would not be very happy.

So off I went to the local glass shop and purchased some pieces of glass and set about making my very first tank on a Friday night in November.

This is the start (I made it on the stand for the 6 footer) just some glass and a tube of silicone sealant.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 34
Half way there. This actually really easy. The only change I'd make is to use masking tape on the joins to ensure a smoothe line at the edge of the sealant.

Hmm, I wonder how much the glass would be for 8' X 3' wide X 2' tall... ;)

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 19
Me putting another side on. There really is something satisfying about having made something that most people wouldn't even consider making.

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 24
The first fill test. This was the most nervous part of the entire project.

However all went well and the hood just about fits on.

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 24
This is it finished, filled and placed on my bedside drawers, with the LEDs I can wake up and check on George and his Otos at any time of day or night.

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 24
Cool Project Andywg,

id love to try it but the wife would kill me if it leaked lol

Glad to see its all holding up, how much was the glass and what was total cost compared to buying a similar premade one??

Glass was £45.

It was more expensive than having them pre-made but more satisfying.

When making the dual sump tanks I had two tanks custom made at 24"X14"X12" and they came in at £65 for the pair. However, I think I made a mistake when ordering the glass as it was properly finished, like. It had the sharp edges cut off to make the edge look like this \_/ rather than just sanded. I think this added most of the cost. (two pieces at about 13.5" X 9" for putting in the sump only cost a fiver...)

Leaking isn't that much of a concern, just use enough sealant and ensure you press the air bubbles out. And remember to look at Garf's website for designs! (Oh, and don't forget how sharp unfinished glass is, I tore a chunk of my finger up pretty bad when doing the sumps for the 100gal, it bled for like 5 hours :( )

Glad you liked it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back